style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently moved address and as a dutiful citizen advised car insurance company of change (Kwik-fit)

I was informed that underwriter (Royal and Sun Alliance) were not prepared to insure that address (a little strange since More Than insurance will)

Anyway was informed by KWIK-FIT that another underwriter Aviva would insure me for 3x times current premium £1500 (bear in mind i'm over 30 have never had an accident and 4 years no claims) and apparently I would need to sign up for a new 12 month renewal.

If I decline and cancel then I have to £70 cancellation charge

What rights do I have (if any) given that reason for cancellation is underwriter not me...

Surely if I need to take out a full new policy then original is terminated and there is no cancellation fee?!? Or have I technically terminated the agreement by moving address therefore owe the cancellation fee?

Technically who is the contract with is it Royal and Sun Alliance as the underwriter or Kwik-Fit as the broker

Could someone give me some guidance

It's with Kwik-Fit. They sold it to you, it's their headed paper and headed certificate.

Unless they tell you in the policy that moving address and the circumstances means 'you' cancelled the policy, then they cancelled it and you should bill them for the same £70 they want to rip you off for.

What I would suggest that you do, is take your business elsewhere. Make a complaint to Kwik Fit and advise them that you consider the cancellation charges added to be unfair, so would like the opportunity of the FOS to review the matter. Ask them to send you a final response, so you can proceed immediately to the FOS and ask for them to send you the no claims discount proof, to provide to your new Insurers.

This link is from the FOS. ( I think you would struggle to have a complaint upheld by them, but Kwik Fit may back down, if they think you may go to them, as it will cost them )

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/54/insurance.htm

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks guys think given the need to get the NCB i'll have to pay and chase through complaints or fos

This may be a little semantical but wondered the following;

Current contract ends in Oct

Surely even if Kwik-fit needs to find a new underwriter it would only be for the remainder of the term of the agreement?

If not that must be a new contract?

If that is a new contract I assume the other is terminated?

If the other is terminated who did it me or Kwik-Fit (i.e. me by default with moving)?

Make sense?

Stupid thing is that I work in commercial environment and the contracts I am forced to sign personally I would never touch professionally as they are ridiculously one-sided with no real option to negotiate.

Kwik Fit are only intermediaries and they just buy Insurance wholesale from various companies Insurance underwriters. Obviously the rating table/underwriting guidelines do not enable them to continue your policy with R&SA at the new address, so they have to cancel. They are then offering you a new contract, which you don't have to accept. Kwik Fit are not allowed to hold your no claim discount proof until you have paid the cancellation charges. You are entitled to enter into a complaint dispute, with the cancellation charges put on hold. Kwik Fit have to provide your no claim discount proof, so you can obtain Insurers elsewhere I believe this is an FSA rule, to stop Insurers holding customers to ransom.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

What would my no claims bonus be...as I haven't completed full year is it 4 years or is it 5 years as they have cancelled the contract without a claim?

4 years, as you have not completed another year claim free. Not much you can do about this, as Kwik Fit are only offering you a new 12 month policy, based on 4 years no claims discount, so you are no worse off arranging cover elsewhere.