private rent wear and tear issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys this is my first post so hopefully im in the correct forum!

My land lord came round sunday afternoon for a routine inspection. He noticed that one of the bathroom floor tiles is cracked. I agreed that it needs replacing but instead of replacing the one tile (which im sure would be almost impossible to find the correct match) he suggested i take all the tiles up and replace the entire bathroom floor with lino that he would choose and i foot the bill! this seems extremely over the top and far too expensive for me to pay for. I was wondering if this would be general wear and tear? any help or advise will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hi guys this is my first post so hopefully im in the correct forum!

My land lord came round sunday afternoon for a routine inspection. He noticed that one of the bathroom floor tiles is cracked. I agreed that it needs replacing but instead of replacing the one tile (which im sure would be almost impossible to find the correct match) he suggested i take all the tiles up and replace the entire bathroom floor with lino that he would choose and i foot the bill! this seems extremely over the top and far too expensive for me to pay for. I was wondering if this would be general wear and tear? any help or advise will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Wouldn't expect that to be wear and tear, but if the floor was newly laid within the last 12 months, could be incorrecly laid - especially if they are ceramic tiles on a wooden floor.

I'm not sure the best way to suggest it, but I'd want to live with it and let the deposit scheme decide how much was appropriate for the landlord to charge - I think it would be a pittance.

If I didn't want to live with it, and I hoped to stay for some time, I may be willing to go halves on the vinyl (depending on bathroom size) so long as I was involved in the choice of vinyl and the landlord provided me with an assurance in writing that I wouldn't be evicted within a couple of years.

hi snorkerz,

I do agree its my duty to repair/replace the tile. The landlord did say they had been there since he bought the property 3 or 4 years ago (i think) hence the difficulty trying to find an exact match.

Personally im happy to live with it but worried if he turns up for the next inspection and sees i have just left it how he would react.

Is it possible to get 2 year contracts?

Why do you think it is your duty to replce it? did you deliberately break it!!

If not causing a problem then leave it.

If it is laid on a timber floor then thats what happens, they crack in normal use.

Is the floor timber?

WRT 2 year contracts.

There is nothing in law to prevent you getting a 2 year contract (if 3 yr + it has to be a 'deed'), it is whatever you and the landlord agree.

My suggestion was a bit naughty actually, because I wasn't suggesting a 2 year contract, I was suggesting you get in writing that you wouldn't be evicted for 2 years.

A 2 year contract would tie you, as well as the landlord. My option would only tie the landlord. You couldn't put that in a contract as both sides have to have similar rights.