wanting to fix my credit file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there!

I would like to start tidying up my credit file as ideally in the next 3 years I'd like to buy a house and settle down.

I was recently affected by negative credit in a job application,

and its made me realise that I need to take charge of things in my life by the time I reapply for the role in 8-10 months time.

I've came through a lot of things in my life to get this far career and personal life wise,

so I would like to nip my credit issues in the bud once and for all.

Compared to many people I see, my debt isn't particularly big (its maybe around £8k at most), with the bulk of that a £4500 RBS default from 2007/8.

I've just been a bit silly in my younger years after two abusive relationships,

and now I want control of my life, to enter my 30s (just over 18 months away!! ) with a better start than I entered my twenties.

I last checked my credit profile about 5 months ago, when I started in my current position,

and even though there were a couple of defaults on there it didn't stop me getting my job.

It has hampered me in a promotion, which is saddening but as that is the only reason, one can only learn from it and go onward and upward, right? :-D

I get paid on the 31st, so I'm going to get my credit reports again on that date (I don't have the free trials anymore :|)

- I just wanted to check that

a) this is the appropriate place to post and

b) I'm not being too cheeky just swanning in here saying "help me sort out my life!"?

Ok I'll try to pint you in the right direction, rebuilding a credit reputation today

is not as easy as it was before the financial crash and recession, where as potential

lenders as you will know used to look for 3 years residential and financial history before

lending today many are looking to 5-6 years and any blip and the app is turned down.

Defaults are removed from credit files after 6 years paid or not so the RBS default is removed

at the earliest in 2013 if there has been no payment made on the account or wriiten acknowledgment

it will become statute barred.

There is a big BUT here you then have to rebuild a credit profile that is problem free, do not make

numerous and or frequent credit apps it will be viewed as 'desperate'' and will lead to refusal.

Get a credit builder credit card with a low limit use it carefully and repay in tota each month ( do not accept big increases in credit limit).

Keep a current account within strict limits, don't use catalogue accounts to build credit as they can be a big problem.

Keep steady residential profile and make sure you are on the Electoral Roll.

It's all down to carefully managing your money.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

My RBS debt is from when I lived in Scotland, so doesn't it become statute barred after 5 years due to Scots law?

I'm going to put up my other debts when I get my credit reports on Tuesday. I've written a couple of 'prove it' letters (got the templates off CAG! :)) to DCAs that have been being a bit vicious, including forwarding these letters to their complaints dept so some of them are being 'investigated'.

If its ok and I'm not being forward, can I post up what I am being chased for and my POA with them when I get my details through on Tuesday/Wednesday? I've been researching heavily on CAG (the joys of being on nightshift) so I've got a good idea about 'snowballing' as well as making the older debts prove it (getting notice of default letters etc). I'm more than happy to sacrifice a social life for a few months so that I can get myself sorted for possible promotion in 8-10 months and pay off as much as I can.

No problem, please ensure anything you post has no personal identifyers,

the SB will depend on length of residence south of the border.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I moved south of the border last summer, so the bulk of the time the debt has been ignored is really when I lived in Scotland. I'm also Scots born and spent the majority of my life there (including the 3 years before the debt defaulted). It sounds bad to admit this but with it nearly dropping off my file from age part of me would rather leave the RBS debt and get the other bad boys!

I know I will recently have defaulted with Vanquis as well, but an overwhelming amount of that will be charges. So I am going to SAR them to deal with this.

Crapquest have recently been the most vocal - they sent me a reduced offer which I was almost tempted by (I had already

Said "prove it" though!) until the lovely sources of info here informed me that it's because they know the debt is non enforceable!

Ok I have my credit report! Experian only has one red flag: Vodafone, who I wanted to go into a repayment plan with anyway, the debt isn't that old, 100% my responsibility and I'd like rid of it.

It hasn't defaulted - it is 5 payments late, and my understanding is if I make a payment toward the account, they can't default me? They have told me if I make payments of about £130 a month for 3 months the balance will be wiped. Sounds fair play to me - no social life but 3 months is nothing in the grand scale of things :)

RBS: last payment to my credit card was April 2008. My own gut feeling is to let it slide, particularly as Mint owns RBS credit cards.

On my RBS account, it was Jan 2009 (directly linked to my relationship breakdown). Do you think it would be worth sending a SAR and seeing how much I could pull back in charges, then trying to sort out the balance? It is not as much as I thought it was.

I have a default of £180 to JD Williams - to be honest, I actually forget I even had that. I was wondering if I pay it off in full, they would agree to remove the default, or at least give it the most favourable display on my credit file?

My only other default is 2009 from Crapquest. I've already got a prove it letter circling those pond feeders. I don't mind taking responsibility for my debts but I can't stand the pond life thats a DCA.

I realise in some ways I seem very glib with saying "oh ok I have to pay out X amount" but it has seriously upset me from a professional standpoint. I'm single, no dependants and no sudden surprises bill wise (flatshare, all inclusive) so really all my disposable income goes on is leisure and/or savings for the future. I'd rather take advantage of that opportunity whilst I can and get my future things sorted out.

Afraid not it unusual for it not to have bee defaulted

my guess would be they will default when 6 payments

missed unless you can clear the arrears.

I think I'm going to take them up on their offer to make the 3 monthly payments to clear the balance then. I'd have preferred it spread over 6 months instead but it happens, and at least they've not charged me for the full contract.

Would it be advisable to SAR RBS and sort out the charges that would have been added onto the account? I think if I got them back, it would bring the balance down to about £2000.

Ok I have my credit report! Experian only has one red flag: Vodafone, who I wanted to go into a repayment plan with anyway, the debt isn't that old, 100% my responsibility and I'd like rid of it.

It hasn't defaulted - it is 5 payments late, and my understanding is if I make a payment toward the account, they can't default me? They have told me if I make payments of about £130 a month for 3 months the balance will be wiped. Sounds fair play to me - no social life but 3 months is nothing in the grand scale of things :)

Hi lorna2012,

In order for me to take a closer look at your concerns here could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here quoting the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To ensure that it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll come back to you as soon as I can?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

ach it happens! I had some free time at work last night and spent more time researching. On paper it looks like really big balances - but if I get my charges/any PPI back, its not actually that high. I think I maxed out my credit card (it was only £250) and they've whacked on about £250 of charges.

So if I can get back the charges, then I can pay off the balance I did run up!

I've got my SARs good to go for all of them anyway, then I can get onto refunding and go from there. Hopefully by the time my SARs come back I'll be in a position to say that I can pay off the true balances (sans charges/PPI and whatnot).

Is it sad that I'm actually very excited about all of this? It feels quite cathartic!

Ok, what I have done is send off SARs to:

JD Williams (smallest out of the lot - if I can get my charges back I'm looking at something pathetic like £50, if that)

Vanquis (has not shown as a default yet so would like to claim back my ridiculous charges and bring the balance down to around my credit limit before it escalates to that point)

T-mobile (old bill - it has defaulted about 3 years ago)

I do owe RBS money on both a C/C and an account (both defaulted). However I realise trying to pay off 5 debts at once is a lot, so I have opted to get rid of the smaller ones first to both make my credit file look a little better in the meantime AND reserve my energy (and disposable income) for the bigger ones. My C/C with RBS isn't actually that much, its about the same as Vanquis, but my worry is sending a SAR for one will awaken the other, and I'd rather take on the worst of the lot when I know I've got my other things sorted.

Hi Lee, I sent a message, if you could get back to me sooner rather than later I'd really appreciate it! :)

Hi lorna2012,

Thanks for your time on the phone yesterday.

As promised, I'll confirm what we discussed in writing as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK