Full and Final Settlement - mistake in letter

booblet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new to this site but have been advised by a friend this is the best place to find advice about debt.

When i fell into financial hardship a couple of years ago i began making a token payment of £1 per month to several credit cards. I have since had a few full and final settlement offers accepted and resolved.

I have now turned my attentions to my largest cc debt (approx £8000). I phoned the bank requesting what would be accepted as a full and final settlement. I was told 50% of the balance would clear the whole debt i.e. £4,000. I then asked for this to be put into writing.Today I received the letter and it states:

"We are prepared, without prejudice, to accept £1 in full and final settlement of the debt"

In addition, they have requested that the payment must be made by 28 January 2012 which again is a mistake as it was 6 months ago! The letter itself is dated 19 July 2012.

Could anyone advise me, as clearly clerical errors have been made on their part. I'm hoping as the letter states that if I pay the £1 the whole debt will be cleared, and legally there is nothing they can do as i have proof they agreed to these terms.Am I right?

Thanks in advance

Probably not that simple.

You could always reply and enclose £1 payment and see what happens!

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

not worth even £1 if they wont mark the debt as SETLLED [not partial settlement]

and remove ALL negative data.

as its a CC debt

why dont you look at reclaiming unlawful PENALTY fees and PPI?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...