PPI Timescales and Finding out details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car using finance in 1996.

At the time i was 21 and just happy to be accepted for finance.

The car salesman didnt take the opportunity to explain the payment protection.

At the time i was in a good job and was covered by sick pay in the event of sickness and had saving set aside.

I dont know if its too late to chase this up and i cleared out the documents a few years after selling the car on.

Would i still be able to make a claim to try and get the money back?

What details would i need?

How would i obtain the information required to make a claim?

Any advice would be greatful even to advise i would no longer be eligible.

Thanks

Hi Hoopy1975,

You can always claim back PPI, no matter how long ago it was! If you have the agreement reference its a lot easier, although many companies will not give data that is over six years after the account was closed, there are means and ways of getting your data! I'm sure someone from the site team will be along shortly with further advice!

BP

Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

Hi Folks, I'm a newbie so go easy.

I have the same problem as bigphil61.

I had two personal loans from A & L from 1999 thro' 2005.

I have no reference numbers for those loans and have made a PPI claim but, they say, due to the Data Protection Act they only keep data for six years and have no record of those loans.

I have kept my own records as regards monthly payments back to year 2000

so I now when and how much the repayments were, but no ref numbers.

Where do I go from here ?.

Any advise ?

I am sure others on this forum have had this problem.

Regards

Request a SAR first...have a look at your monthly statements...if there are months missing in between them take the average.....for months missing PRIOR to the months starting in your SAR again take the average from what is known and bang in an offer....I have managed to get statements as far back as 2001 for Halifax forester card on behalf of friend...It is NOT always the case that you wont get ALL statements...but if you do ..then use the above procedure and you would use the PURCHASE PRICE interest rate...

eurocup77... it is best that you start your own thread as you will get attention specific to your own circumstances with input form the more experienced site team.... and likes of me if I can without confusing the issues...

Hi Eurocup77, Have a look at your earliest statements again as I have found loan account ref's listed against the loan payments on my bank statements from Lloyds TSB and Halifax going back to 2000! They seem to have stopped listing the loan account info around 2005 in my case! BP

Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

• 1 month later...
Request a SAR first...have a look at your monthly statements...if there are months missing in between them take the average.....for months missing PRIOR to the months starting in your SAR again take the average from what is known and bang in an offer....I have managed to get statements as far back as 2001 for Halifax forester card on behalf of friend...It is NOT always the case that you wont get ALL statements...but if you do ..then use the above procedure and you would use the PURCHASE PRICE interest rate...

Hi means2anend & bigphil61, would the SAR contain details of the finance ie reference numbers to give to a claims company? Also the purchase of the car was in 1996. Is it therefore unlikely i would get any information as it was before 2000. Apologies for basic questions but im fed up getting all the text messages and letters advising im due PPI returns and doing mnothing about it.

hoopy1975

Hi Hoopy1975,

What you get in the SAR depends on what you have asked for, the templates in the library are very good at making sure you get the correct data!

Personally I stay clear of Claims companies for the simple reason they only want a chunk of your money for doing nothing more than what you can do for yourself! Have a read of a few 'Won' threads on the subject your interested in and see how others have dealt with similar issues!

Ask questions and with a little help from the friendly and knowledgeble guys on CAG, you will start to get results!

Its always possible to get your data, even back to 1996!

BP