Lowest pay rate possible

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Writing this post on behalf of my son who has been working for the same employer for the last four years.

He joined the company aged 18 and was on the lowest pay rate possible for his age. During his time there he has been constantly ignored when it came to reviewing his hourly rate. Other people who have started working for the company after my son have been upgraded to the higher hourly rates.

My son is becoming demoralised and dis-interested in his work which he used to enjoy. He sees relative new comers starting and overtaking him in the pay rates but when he questions the HR Mangeress at annual review time there always seems to be an excuse why he hasn`t been given an hourly pay rise (Yes he has been given the statutory pay rises in accordance with his age but company pay rises in conjunction with experience and multi skilled activities have not been forthcoming), they range from we can only put through a certain amount each month, your line manager needs to approve your upgrade or come and see me in a couple of months we`ll sort it out.

A couple of months ago he undertook some additional training and the HR Manageress even mentioned that they ought to get around to sorting his upgrade out, however, on the occasions he has gone to see her, she is always too busy or got more important things to arrange, seemingly knowing that he is there to talk out his pay rate.

He is getting increasingly frustrated even though he appreciates the fact he is fortunate to have a full time job considering the current economic climate.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions

putting things in writing politely is often a good start...

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Polite letter or meeting with the manager is a good start, ask for reaosns he has been overlooked, what he can do to get his rate increased, etc. Make it sound like he wants to do better to increase his rate . What did the other do to increase their rate etc etc.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Many thanks Emmzzi and lbruk for your replies, very much appreciated.

My son has become so versatile he does not have a dedicated supervisor or manager who could verify his work ethic. The supervisors tend to "stick up for" their own dedicated sectional staff members before entertaining others who have moved there temporarily.

The store manager left the store some six months ago and has not yet been replaced. They have managers from other stores making daily visits when deemed necessary. So the only path left then to pursue is the HR Manageress.

Like you mention perhaps a polite letter in writing to the HR Manageress could prompt some reaction. There would then be something in writing on record for future reference.

My son had the opportunity to speak to the HR Manageress on Friday when he had to visit her to order a new name badge. She then mentioned to him that she didn’t know he was a Fire Champion, my son informed the HR Manageress that he went to another store to be trained along with two or three other colleagues. She looked into his personal file and there was the certificate, she proceeded to update the details onto the computer.

Whilst she was on the computer my son asked when he would be upgraded from pay level one. She replied I thought you were on pay level two. Let me have a look on the computer, Oh yes you are on pay level one was the reply.

OK you can carry on with your work the HR Manageress instructed my son.

I mentioned to my son it might be appropriate to write a polite letter to her. Apparently someone has already tried that and has since been cautioned. They have made life so intolerable for that person she has had to leave!

Well if that happens, then it is victimisation, as your son would have raised a issue in good faith seeking an appropriate answer to a question posed. It would not be reasonable for the employer then to make their life a "living hell".

I would look to see if the pay rate changes, should he getnmore for being a fire champion? I know some companies offer this as an incentive. If he is supposed to be payed more then I would suggest to include in the letter that you would like the difference in pay from the date of the certificate to be paid back.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Many thanks lbruk for your latest reply and your continued interest in this thread.

I am absolutely outraged at the treatment this company appears to afford certain employees. The HR Manageress looks to be in charge at the moment and woe betide anyone who dares cross her path or insinuate any wrong doing on her behalf.

Yes my son should be paid extra for being Fire Champion along with the other multi skilled activities he has carried out for the last couple of years or so. As previously mentioned he is still on the lowest pay scale possible, the HR Manageress obviously knows this but for whatever reason does not want to acknowledge this fact.

I have mentioned to my son writing a polite letter but he is reluctant to bearing in mind what happened to his colleague when she tried a similar approach.

Its so frustrating as this is the same HR Manageress who insisted my son attend work when he phoned in sick a few weeks ago because he had a painful and bloodshot eye. He went to work but was allowed time off to attend the doctors, the HR Manageress declaring later that she was offering “Motherly advice” to my son about attending work.

I’m struggling to comprehend how these people get away with treating employees like they do.

They get away with it because

a) legal

b) people like your son keep working for them

He needs a new job!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

i can tell you from experience in retail, as i was a retail store manager for 6 years. In this economic downturn there has been a lot of pressure put on people to get the most out of people. That also means that they seem to think "we'll treat them how we like and they will not leave because there is nowhere else to go" this is a real problem for a lot of employees in the current climate, as there really is nowhere to go for employment. So the employer thinks to just carry on treating them badly.

The good news is that I am currently in battle with one of these retailers because of this very thing, and i intend to expose everything they do to their employees once the tribunal is over (6 weeks away), the other good news is that eventually, they will get their comeuppance because they will not be able to hire people due to this reputation when then economic situation gets better.

They get away with it because

a) legal

b) people like your son keep working for them

He needs a new job!

Thankyou for your reply Emmzzi,

You are spot on with your assessment, however, the new jobs are not available. He presently works 39 hours per week and fulltime jobs nowadays are nearly non existent especially in retail where he has been since leaving school.

i can tell you from experience in retail, as i was a retail store manager for 6 years. In this economic downturn there has been a lot of pressure put on people to get the most out of people. That also means that they seem to think "we'll treat them how we like and they will not leave because there is nowhere else to go" this is a real problem for a lot of employees in the current climate, as there really is nowhere to go for employment. So the employer thinks to just carry on treating them badly.

The good news is that I am currently in battle with one of these retailers because of this very thing, and i intend to expose everything they do to their employees once the tribunal is over (6 weeks away), the other good news is that eventually, they will get their comeuppance because they will not be able to hire people due to this reputation when then economic situation gets better.

Thankyou lbruk for your latest reply.

You are correct in your appraisal.. I have asked my son to keep a log of events for future reference. In my opinion there is either a case for victimisation or perhaps if the term still exists Constructive Dismissal.

I understand and appreciate that my son is not alone in his plight, there are many others in a similar situation. Just wish there was something I could do to help him, moral support keeps him going most of the time but you can see that his work depresses him.

Anyway, good luck with your tribunal, I hope all goes well for you.:-D

Steve.