Approved Repairer Query

matthew1873
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I had a minor (sub 10mph) altercation with a car park barrier and have decided the best bet is to get my insurance company to fix it for me rather than source a bumper etc etc. The car was running fine apart from a light tapping coming from the engine so because of this a arranged for the repairer to Flatbed my car to them for repair.

I arranged for them to come pick my car up at their leisure and take it to their approved repairer of my Mitsubishi Evo , Arnold Clark Vauxhall in Paisley .

Fair enough I thought since its only some light bodywork that's easy to sort out, I wanted the paint to match perfectly to bring the car back to its usual lovely condition, this was the reason I never done the job myself.

The approved repairer turned up with flatbed and another bloke and he then proceeded to drive my car away to the garage rather than flatbed it the 30 odd miles to the worksite going directly against my wishes and what was arranged via my insurer.

Anyway I get a call from the garage saying my engine is 'knocking like a ****' and has serious issues.

I have informed my insurance company what the garage has said to me and they will be in touch with them apparently.

Where does the liability in this case lie? My insurer or the approved repairer?

Thanks in advance guys.

Matthew

I think you should include Arnold Clark in your subjec heading - would you like me to add it ?

I think it is all the repairs responsibility, he got into and started the car, he didn't get back out and say 'bloody engines knocking mate' he just drove off which says to me there wasn't a problem with the engine when it left you.

But this is AC and a certain someone is bound to pick this up and come talk to you.

I think you should include Arnold Clark in your subjec heading - would you like me to add it ?

I think it is all the repairs responsibility, he got into and started the car, he didn't get back out and say 'bloody engines knocking mate' he just drove off which says to me there wasn't a problem with the engine when it left you.

But this is AC and a certain someone is bound to pick this up and come talk to you.

Thanks conniff, much appreciated for your reply. Whatever you think may help, I just don't want beaten into a corner by a large intimidating organisation that is clearly at fault here, soon as he drove off in my car I phoned my insurer, I was livid but as his little co drive that dropped him off said its up to them how they recover the cars!

Matthew

Ok Matt, if and when.

It's not up to them how they move the car, it's up to the car owner, you never gave him permission to drive it. Lets hope that you get a speeding ticket through the post or some other violation dated on that day.

You should now write to them 'recorded delivery' and make a complaint that one of their collection drivers has damaged you car engine and ask what they intend to do about it see what comes back. You admit that there was a problem with a tapping sound, it now depends on what that tapping was you heard and what AC are saying is 'knocking'.

Ok Matt, if and when.

It's not up to them how they move the car, it's up to the car owner, you never gave him permission to drive it. Lets hope that you get a speeding ticket through the post or some other violation dated on that day.

You should now write to them 'recorded delivery' and make a complaint that one of their collection drivers has damaged you car engine and ask what they intend to do about it see what comes back. You admit that there was a problem with a tapping sound, it now depends on what that tapping was you heard and what AC are saying is 'knocking'.

My insurance company has now appointed an independent inspector to come look at the car and ascertain how the car is and if they have damaged it. Fact of the matter is if they did what they were supposed to do in the first place and flatbed the car then they might not have caused the further damage to my car. The tapping sound only happened after my light front shunt anyway. Was not there before it.

Do you think I should write to head office of AC?

Thanks for your advice.

Well it wouldn't make me leap up and down, but wait to see what he to say. Have you a date for his assessment?

It shouldn't be anything to do with your insurance, it should be the garages insurance, they abused it.

Hi guys,

I had a minor (sub 10mph) altercation with a car park barrier and have decided the best bet is to get my insurance company to fix it for me rather than source a bumper etc etc. The car was running fine apart from a light tapping coming from the engine so because of this a arranged for the repairer to Flatbed my car to them for repair.

I arranged for them to come pick my car up at their leisure and take it to their approved repairer of my Mitsubishi Evo , Arnold Clark Vauxhall in Paisley .

Fair enough I thought since its only some light bodywork that's easy to sort out, I wanted the paint to match perfectly to bring the car back to its usual lovely condition, this was the reason I never done the job myself.

The approved repairer turned up with flatbed and another bloke and he then proceeded to drive my car away to the garage rather than flatbed it the 30 odd miles to the worksite going directly against my wishes and what was arranged via my insurer.

Anyway I get a call from the garage saying my engine is 'knocking like a ****' and has serious issues.

I have informed my insurance company what the garage has said to me and they will be in touch with them apparently.

Where does the liability in this case lie? My insurer or the approved repairer?

Thanks in advance guys.

Matthew

To be fair, you stated that you knew there was a problem before they took it. They should clearly not have driven it but the person collecting it did so. When they didn't put it on the flat bed, did you confront them at the time or just let them take it?

Their definition of "knocking like a ****" may be identical to your "light tapping"! just that they describe it differently to you. If they repair it they could quite justifiably ask you to pay for it as the defect was already there. You clearly had been driving it after you new there was a problem, so who is at greater fault? Personally I would have had the engine sorted before I let them take it, so that they took a car without any faults. If it then came back with a fault, blame is unquestionable. As it is you have left the door open for them to deny any responsibility. The fault may be no worse for them having driven it but you can't prove that and neither can they. If they deny blame you have no real grounds to argue.