Problem logging in to Windows (possible virus).

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I am trying to repair a friends laptop.

When you sign in, the welcome sign appears and the blue circle spins round. But that's it.

It will not go any further.

I have started in safe mode with command prompt and done sfc /scannow and get this message afterwards:-

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I have also tried to do a clean install of Windows, but the CD drive seems to be broken.

It makes a strange clicking sound but doesn't seem to kick in properly. The laptop just boots up normally because of this. I have made sure that the CD drive is number 1 priority in the boot order, but that doesn't help either.

Any ideas?

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

several poss's could try

start in safe mode normal without network, uninstall any third party software firewall and antivirus. reboot.

is system restore available in safe mode?

if have access to another pc, download a boot antivirus that can be run from a flash drive.

also, googly 'fixmbr' 'fixboot' re your operating system.

at your own risk :)

Edited by Ford

chkdsk c: /v /f /r

before you do anthing else

safe mode cmd prompt only.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

chkdsk c: /v /f /r

before you do anthing else

safe mode cmd prompt only.

dx

Strange. I just done this and it said that the volume is clean.

Also, I pressed F8 at start up and clicked on 'Repair your computer and followed procedure as normal.

It says on the system recovery options that the OS installed is on D drive and is Windows 7, although when the laptop starts normally, it says that it is Windows Vista at the login screen?????

Also, there are no System Restore points created.

When in safe mode the screen is just black, with safe mode in each corner. I have tried putting a flash drive in to install a virus program. The light flashes on the flash drive, but no option to open folder to view files appears.

Managed to get CHKDSK to start, but it has been stuck on 11% complete on stage 4 of 5. The CPU light is busy, but I can't ever remeber this type of scan take this long. It's been 11% for over 2 hours now and it is stuck on (69041 of 116208 files processed).:-(

leave it

to run

you mean the hdd light.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

... I have tried putting a flash drive in to install a virus program. The light flashes on the flash drive' date=' but no option to open folder to view files appears.[/quote']

meant a free boot antivirus/rescue prog that scans a pc on boot. ie the antivirus is also a boot prog that boots the pc into own type enviro and runs a scan, so would need to configure pc to boot up from usb drive.

here's one eg http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-rescue-cd but search around. an oldish overview of some http://www.esecurityplanet.com/windows-security/Antivirus-Review-Bootable-Discs-and-Bootable-USBs-3936286.htm

if you are going torun anythng

in safemode with networking use

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

or:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/?click=true

dx

and they

Sorry for the delay in reply guys. I left the chkdsk scan going all night and it let me log in earlier.

Everything seemed fine, but I think it is still a bit poorly.

I tried multiple virus scans, and all of them are clear.

Windows installed some updates, but there was an error when installing a Internet Explorer 9 security update (important).

I done anoother chkdsk scan and that one was a lot faster than the one last night.

I could then install the update successfully, but when I restarted it, it just had a blank screen with a white cursor flashing in the top left hand corner.

It was quite hot underneath so I let it cool for a while.

Then everything seems fine, and Windows is up to date. It is working great now, but I have a feeling that there will be more problems to come. T

This was taken to a repair shop initially, and they said they cannot fix it, so I am quite happy I have got something out of it.

Thank you all for your assistance in this matter. Fingers crossed they will keep it running smoothly when I give them it back.

i had a sata hdd that needed to be fixed/sorted out every now and then by chkdsk (xp days), even after a wipe and clean install. it soon died! and had to be replaced (under warranty luckily, seagates old 5 yr warranty).