style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 4 or 5 days ago, my monitor started blinking like mad at startup and taking its time to get to the login screen. Since then, it's gone from taking 2 mins to get to the login screen to 30 minutes. Today I didn't think it was going to get there at all.

Once it's on, it stays on fine but it looks like it's going to die on me pretty soon!

I don't know if it is the monitor that is the problem or the PC itself - vista 32 bit.

Can anyone help?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Is the computer booting in the same amount of time, just taking ages for the monitor to actually show a picture?

If you can a LED or LCD TV, most have a monitor plug in there.... you could try taking the tower and the keyboard and mouse to your TV and seeing if it's any better on there. If so you know it's the monitor.

edit: in most cases the cable that goes into your monitor unscrews and will just plug into the TV. Some monitors don't have this as the cable is hard wired

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I'm not sure if it is taking longer to boot. Is there a way of telling that when the monitor doesn't show anything until the log in screen? I have an older TV - the CRT type. The PC doesn't plug into it.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

is it a CRT monitor aswell? I got a CRT monitor from Ebay for £4 if it is that at fault.

Try rebooting the computer once it is warmed up and seeing how long that takes.

Also, just checking here, there are no floppy disks in or CD's or DVD's? These can add to boot times if you computer is trying to detect if that is bootable media.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hard to diagnose.

what happens if you keep the computer on and reboot (turn off and on) the monitor ?. Is it ok ?. If yes, leave it off for an hour or so and try again.

If thats all fine and the monitor is fine once its actually started then I'd guess an actuall PC problem.

But having a spare monitor and swapping it around would help.

Does the PC behave normally when started ?

Something Ive noticed as IT Support in my office is that if PC's are getting hot normally this weather may send them over the edge, SpeedFan is a good free program to keep an eye on your temperatures.

Andy

Another thaught, if you don't have another monitor... do you have a laptop? Most of these have a monitor out, so you could swap the monitor cable from the PC tower to the laptop and see if the monitor behaves properly that way.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

When the monitor fails to kick in it either PSU/ RAM or the graphics card.Try the monitor on another PC to eliminate that and if so its what I have suggested.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It's a flatscreen monitor, just the tele that is CRT. I do have a DVD in the drive, I put it in a few days ago to grab a document off it. It was put in after the flashing started but come to think of it the flashing and time taken to get to the login screen has gotten worse since so maybe it is to blame for it taking longer to get to the login screen. I'll take it out and try shutting down and restarting later on tonight. Am keeping it on for now whilst it's still working! I'm having a look at online classified's to see if I can get a cheap second hand monitor to check it, or a cheap second hand PC if it is completely busted.

I don't have a laptop, no. I do have a broken netbook!

Hard to diagnose.

what happens if you keep the computer on and reboot (turn off and on) the monitor ?.

Do you mean the standby switch on the monitor, Andy? Sorry am completely dense when it comes to tech stuff.

Yes, I have done. I've copied all my docs to it and am now backing up to a pen. I've managed to find someone who is willing to lend me a monitor tomorrow so that I can see if it is an issue with the monitor or the PC.

It could be trying to boot from the DVD. Have you taken it out yet?

If I have a writable DVD in my drive it adds about 2 or 3 mins to boot time.

Also, pop some speakers or earphones in and listen for the tune it plays on bootup. If it doesn't normally play a tune, go to control panel and check the sounds in there, set it to windows default. Then it will play a sound when the computer is next booted, which should also give us a clue if it's the actual computers boot time or if it's just the monitor not comming on.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

If there is a CD/DVD in the drive it might be trying to boot from that first, this can be changed in the BIOS or simpler to remove the disc.

By rebooting, yes the monitor on/off switch or its better to unplug/pug from the mains.

Andy

if you install teamviewer and send me the ID and password

i'll connect and check a few things for you erika...

i've only just spotted this thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Erika not been on for a couple of days... any of you techie mods with contactact details?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

It died on me! Couldn't get it going again and didn't get the loan monitor until today. Plugged it in, and voila, am here!

Must be the monitor. This one seems to be working fine. Only got a shot of it though until next wednesday, in meantime am watching classifieds like a hawk for a cheap replacement monitor.

Got an ad on freecycle now, thanks. I was in the charity shop earlier today - well the only charity shop that sells electrical goods. Their prices were ridiculous for second hand monitors!

What county are you in? May be worth your while putting a post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?312-Buy-and-sell-or-exchange

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

check gumtree

loads of stuff for sale

also check your facebook if you have it theres alot of for sale sites on there

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: