ESA Benefits Help, Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit until August 2011, when it was changed to ESA, contribution based. We currently live in a bungalow as my husband is disabled and cannot manage stairs. The bungalow is privately rented and this payment helps to pay the remainder of the rent after Housing Benefit.

We are a bit confused as to when this ESA benefit will stop...will we lose this in August as we will have been claiming if for 1 year? My husband has had support interviews cancelled as he cannot travel, so we cannot understand what this benefit is, why it is going to stop, or what, if anything, we can claim instead.

If our benefits stop or go down, we will not be able to afford to live where we are, but we won't be able to afford to move either! We have 2 children at home, with school and collage nearby, so if we do manage to move, they will likely have to change these, too.

It's all a bit of a nightmare, and we're at our wits end, thinking we are going to lose our income and our home, and end up on the streets or something!

Have you tried to apply for Income Based ESA instead? You dont have to wait until the other stops and it, currently, doesnt have a time limit as far as I know but is means tested....

Thanks for your replies. I've just found a site that explains a little bit about the 2 kinds, and it appears as though it would only be half the amount. I'm a full time carer for my husband, so I can't go out to work, either. :(

With IS, you receive a disability premium if you either receive DLA (including those whose DLA goes to motability for a car) or are registered blind. You don't receive this on ESA. Instead, you'll receive either the work related or support component, depending on what group you're in.