barclaycard credit card account not closed after request, now have a default five years later..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

In my uni days (seems like an eternity has passed since) i had a barclaycard credit card. In my last year of uni i payed off the balance in full and requested the account be closed as i didn't want the temptation there in my wallet to spend more than i could afford when those lovely student loan cheques stopped coming in.

fast forward 8 years and i am having trouble obtaining credit, so i sign up for the usual free month trial at experian and equifax.

experian have no info on barclaycard under my name, but equifax have a nice big red default and delinquent balance registered next to my barclaycard in 2009, some five years after i thought the account had been closed.

Shortly after i closed the account i moved house, and have since moved 3 more times in the interim, I never updated my address details with barclaycard as i had no reason to think i would need to.

what now? Do i stand a chance of getting this removed? it seems so grossly unfair that my finances should be affected potentially 11 years from the original error.

I have long ago destroyed any statements/correspondence from barclays regarding the account.

I want to write to barclaycard as a starting point but I'm not sure whether to take the hard line approach that this is their error (I have absolutely NO evidence of my request to close the account) or to plead with them that the default is a disproportionate punishment for what was a simple error made nearly a decade ago...

please help...

Sorry, if the account balance was paid off - why would they have added a default ?

I would say an initial complaint to B/shark asking why there is a default on an account that was fully paid up on such and such a date?

bullet point your letter - it makes it easier for the sequence of events

It should be clearly headed OFFICIAL COMPLAINT - they are obliged to respond to these within 8 weeks, after which time if you are not satisfied you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Send it to their Registered/head office and do send it at the very least by Recorded Delivery !!

I would suggest making a Subject Access request - but they will say they can only provide information back dated for 6 years - I guess it could be worth the attempt and the fee of £10.00 JIC something does show up as to why.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you had left even the tiniest of balances on the card, they would have added charges to the account so you could almost certainly argue those were disproportionate.

However, they can only add default markers for up to 6 years after the first missed payment (if there was a balance left which needed to be cleared).

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

exactly?

to my knowledge there were no annual fees, or any other means for a balance to grow on the card over the years in my absence even if the account wasn't closed.

the delinquent balance/default is for over £1700:!:

I'll fire off a letter and see what sort of response I get....

If you need any further help, please let us know. Please also let us know what type of response you receive :)

BCOBS

Hopefully they will resolve the situation within the mandatory 8 weeks allowed them - if you then need to go to the FOS, then THAT almost certainly will take months to resolve!!

BCOBS