Nero BackItUp Software "Deleted" (formatted) Backup Hard Drive

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nero BackItUp Software Formatted and Wiped My USB Backup Hard Drive

Hi, I just spent a day recovering data from a friend's laptop's internal hard drive that had become corrupted. I copying the data to an external USB hard drive. Having got all the data backed up to the USB drive, I reinstalled Windows 7 from the recovery partition and, unknown to me, Nero BackItUp, Nero's data backup software product - as it is bundled with the Windows recovery and installs automatically as part of the Windows install process. So, after a day of getting the laptop back to working order, I open up the external USB hard drive that I had backup all my data to (it had been plugged in sometime after Windows reinstall), ready to copy the data back on to the laptop, and return the laptop to my friend - half an hour job max. What I found, was that at some point Nero BackItUp had reformatted the external USB drive and all the important data that I spent a day recovering was gone! I have now spent another day and a half trying to recover the files form the USB drive! I have emailed Nero and have not had any reply (other than the automated email acknowledgement). This is about the most stupid bit of software I can conceive of. Why on earth would a bit of software automatically prompt one to format a USB drive when it is plugged in to a computer!

It may well have popped up a prompt but after a new install of Windows 7 there are so many things asking for permission and requiring one to click "yes", I must have just clicked the pop up to get it out of my face. I never for one moment thought that some bit of software - that I didn't even install! - would be asking to format my USB hard drive. If I had CHOSEN to INSTALL the software then I could kind of understand. But I didn't know it was even on the system!

I am using file recovery application to try and get what data I can back. It has taken a day of research and all in all it has wiped out 2 days of messing about for absolutely no reason. I feel I deserve compensation from Nero. Has anyone and experience or advise regarding claiming compensation for data loss/dodgy software?

Thanks for reading about my woes.

Best wishes, NeroMadMan

Your best bet would be directing this to nero support

http://www.nero.com/eng/support.html

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar