Police Problems....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm not sure where this fits best so I'm trying here, if it's wrong, then maybe the mods can move it to where it should be.

7 weeks ago, I was the victim of a domestic assault. I rang 999 and 5 police officers came out. They were all a bit stand offish with me and 3 left and 2 remained. I had a number of whelts and red marks on my skin and one police officer accused me of making it up. The other was laughing and joking with my ex in another room. The officers told me I had to leave the property, for my own safety, that was fine, I wanted to go and I went into a refuge.

I was told they would be in touch 2 days later when they were back on days to do a video statement (as I am heavily pregnant and they felt this would be better than me potentially having to go to court to give evidence). Well, that was 7 weeks ago and they've still not taken this statement from me.

I have rung every week to ask when it will be done and I get the same response of 'we will endevour to get this done this week, we know how frustrating it is' or 'or, can you give us an hour and we'll try and get you in' then I don't hear from them again, when I then call back the officer is 'out' or 'on a shout'.

My ex was due to report for bail today, that's been extended til 23rd. I rang today and said I was getting VERY hacked off by them not doing this statement for so long. My bruises have long since faded, the police did not take photographs and although I did, they will not accept these as they are not one taken by the force photographer.

I have made 2 complaints to the force, one was 'resolved' by them saying they'd do an interview that week, the second was 'resolved' according to them because again they promised to do an interview within 5 days, which has not happened.

I'm now within a few weeks of giving birth, which the police are aware of. I want to get this statement done but I cannot seem to get the police to entertain the idea.

I am thinking now that the police are, for some reason, not wanting to take a statement from me in relation to the assault. When I spoke to the officer dealing with complaints, she said the officer had documented the red marks and whelts and therefore an assault could be evidenced but I would need to give this statement.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can proceed now, I have made 2 complaints to the force which they say are resolved but I don't agree and I'm just fobbed off each time I ring. I have been to the station several times but again I get told the officer is off duty or or out on an incident.

The assault was 7 weeks ago and I am concerned as time drags by the chance of realistic prosecution is diminishing.

Any further advice or pointers would be gratefully received.

BD x

Sorry to read of your troubles :( the police all too often are failing people lately.

I would say, make an appointment and demand to see the chief inspector at the station... and make your complaint direct to them. Your first two complaints remain open in my eyes, as they failed on their own promise of remedy by not completeing the interviews.

For years in the UK I have often thought that the police chose not to deal with various issues as it looks very bad on their statistics.

And to be fair, I suspect they do have an awful lot of very serious tea to drink.

Bang! you made me laugh, thank you!

I am going to do as suggested and go to the main police HQ and insist on at least making an appointment to speak to a senior officer, the more senior the better really I suppose.

My gripe is I feel they are deliberately dragging their heals but for what reason, I don't know and can't figure it out myself? I also feel their next plan of attack will be to tell me that either

a) They can't take a statement because I'm within 6 weeks of giving birth and they of course would not want to deliver a baby during the course of their interview

b) They feel there is little hope of a realistic prosecution

c) Too much time has elapsed since the event

I do feel their complaints officer fobbed me off and as such, my complaints still stand, unresolved.

:D:D:D

Put in more complaints - let them see you will trash those statistics unless they act.

If you are in Scotland - the police are meant to support a "zero tolerance of domestic abuse" policy - but I suspect you still need to kick the crap out of them to make them remember this!

It might make sense to add weight to your side by having a chat with your MP.

Shove your postcode in the box second top right...

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/offices/commons/hcio/

Additionally, there should be someone in the refuge, or details on the notice board for facilities offering further help and assistance relevant in your area.

We can sort you out here too! ;-)

Hi Blue

I would write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Address it to the Chief Inspector of the Police Station concerned. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do. Let them know that if they to deliver on their promises, you'll take the matter further and complain to:-

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/complaints.aspx

Send any letters Recorded.

In addition to Rebel's advice, ask to be put in touch with a domestic liaison officer. This is an officer specifically trained in domestic abuse cases who may be able to intervene. It would also be extremely helpful if you could get letters of support from the refuge you are staying at saying how this is affecting you to put in with your complaint.

Little help, I know but I can relate having been through this myself - just want to let you know that you are not alone.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Can anyone confirm that the Police can refuse to accept photo's of injuries if they were not taken by the Police?

AFAIK, hospitals often take photo's of injuries when victims attend, the Police don't seem to mind then, also this Stance would surely invalidate a hell of a lot of private CCTV etc! This needs going straight to the Chief Inspector, and possibly the IPPC.

This is an absolutely disgraceful way to deal with a domestic abuse case, and I suspect they are committing major breaches of various guidelines.

I wonder if a free session with a Lawyer (also do you qualify for Legal Aid?) to find out regarding the photo's, they are imho valid evidence, and nothing would stop you putting in your official statements that you have photo's, maybe even mentioning "on record" that the Police are refusing to take them.

I suspect you need either a good friend, or a legal professional to assist you and attend with you any further meetings with the Police.

I am also stunned that the VICTIM of an assault was made to leave their home, rather than the perpetrator. :jaw:

Frankly, these officers sound a bit like dinosaurs and are in urgent need of retraining - is there any possibility one of them knew your ex? Just the way they seemed to be so friendly with him.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The police seem quite happy to rely upon CCTV footage from third parties, but I suspect there could always be a risk perceived someone taking their own photo's might reflect a light of impartiality.

I've spoken to a senior officer in charge of the attending officer.

They feel there is little likelihood of a successful prosecution and have advised me tothink about whether to proceed or not.

Kind of felt this was more a 'actually we can't be bothered and oh we've made major errors that could come to light' statement than any real concern about me.

I have sent a recorded complaints letter too saying how disappointed and disgusted I feel about their non actions.

Yes, one of the police did know my ex and think this has overrode anything else.

I've spoken to a senior officer in charge of the attending officer.

They feel there is little likelihood of a successful prosecution and have advised me tothink about whether to proceed or not.

Kind of felt this was more a 'actually we can't be bothered and oh we've made major errors that could come to light' statement than any real concern about me.

I have sent a recorded complaints letter too saying how disappointed and disgusted I feel about their non actions.

Yes, one of the police did know my ex and think this has overrode anything else.

Right, time to go to the Police Complaints Commission then, and make damn sure they know an Officer knew your Ex, and how they treated him on the night.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Definately a potential conflict of interest there - do not give in to this. Keep going, we are all behind you with this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)