Landrover clutch....help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just goes to show that by taking the softly, softly approach as opposed to steaming in with SOGA gets just as good results without ruining relationships!

Let me know how you get on and if you or the dealer needs any technical help.

BTW, who marked it as resolved????????? Until the box is out, it's not known where the issue lies. Either way, it's down to the dealer but until it's out you don't know what they might find.

• 3 months later...

Well........after many phone calls and texts my son has paid to replace the clutch himself at a cost of £850 (including DMF). Tried via the finance company but they took so long it was ridiculous. The dealer has denied liability and the warranty people do not want to know as it is not covered.

Hoping to get a statement from local LR dealer who checked clutch back in May and have print out of most texts sent to dealer. Will there be any point in taking dealer to court to to recover the costs?

Edited by trevor33
Title edit

Been reading rebel11 post on the obligations of car dealers and it seems to me that the problem lies with the Finance Company to compensate for the repair (under soga) and NOT the dealer........is this correct.

So he had a change of mind after all. I would say that you still have a good case to get the repair cost recovered. Have you got all relevant paperwork and copies of any correspondence including emails?

Thanks for reply. We have most copies of emails and texts. have a look at my other post about finance company, see what you think.

If it's an HP agreement then the finance co are jointly liable as it's their vehicle. I would send both simultaneously (indicating that you have written to both) a LBA (letter before action) enclosing a copy of the invoice for the repair.

Ok...if push comes to shove which do I take to court?

• 1 month later...
Think that the admin should adjust the thread title accordingly.

Yes.....not resolved as yet.....

Heard from finance co today...basically get lost.

They state that the dealer and a mechanic tested the car before delivery and found that there was no evidence whatsoever of a problem with the clutch and the problem must have developed after delivery. Given this evidence the company has no liability to this matter.

Hmmmm....what I thought.

Thread title amended.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Don't know where to go from here. It seems the finance company are digging their heels in and the dealer is adamant that there was nothing wrong at time of purchase. I know that a clutch is an unknown when it comes to liability.

The dealer has not yet responded to my LBA, does he have to?

Did you give a time to respond in your LBA?

The dealer doesn't have to respond but if he doesn't then he should expect you to take the action you've referred to. You must be prepared to follow through with this or it will have been a waste of time sending it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Did you give a time to respond in your LBA?

The dealer doesn't have to respond but if he doesn't then he should expect you to take the action you've referred to. You must be prepared to follow through with this or it will have been a waste of time sending it.

I gave them 30 days to respond. I know this is a rather long time but I need to recover from the stress.

If the car is on HP, can I still take action against the dealer. Surely the car now belongs to the HP company.

I gave them 30 days to respond. I know this is a rather long time but I need to recover from the stress.

If the car is on HP, can I still take action against the dealer. Surely the car now belongs to the HP company.

The Finance Co. are Jointly liable with the Dealer. Any action should be taken against both.

75 Liability of creditor for breaches by supplier.

(1)If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within

section 12(b) or © has, in relation to a transaction financed by the

agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or

breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with

the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the

debtor.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Thanks for the reply dw. Is the quote from SOGA? Do I take action against both so that they pay half each?

The quote is from the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You take action against both. It matters not who pays.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS