Will my insurance company give me a car replacement after my car has been stolen?

silver2011
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car was stolen last week without the keys, I informed my car insurance company and the police straight away.

The following day I received paperwork through the post from an external company my insurance is using to investigate the incident and process my claim.

I had to send back the completed forms along with supporting documents, receipts, ect..

I have a slight problem! Some years ago my then boyfriend bought me the car as a surprise birthday gift, so obviously I was not aware when him and a friend of his were setting up the car insurance. Well after I was given the car and all the insurance documents, to my surprise I realized my date of birth was not right and the year of birth was 8 years earlier than my real year of birth. I questioned my boyfriend about it then and he brushed it off. Some few months after I had to give my insurance company a call about a general matter, as one of the security questions they asked my date of birth, and I gave them the wrong year, they told me so and I said the person who set up the insurance for me must of done a mistake. So they asked for my date of birth so they can change it, I was in such a panic and I gave them a year earlier then the birth year my boyfriend initially put on... (my biggest regret!)

Since then I have given that date of birth as a security answer whenever I am on the phone to the car insurance company.

Now.... On the forms I had to send off in regard to my claim, it asks for my date of birth. I gave my REAL date of birth, because they said they would need to contact the DVLA and police for some details.

I am wondering if the insurance company find out that I have not been truthful with my date of birth, would they reject my claim?

I also want to know whether (if my claim is accepted) I am entitled to a car replacement?

Because I called the insurance company and asked what will happen if my car is not recovered, and I was told that they will value the car and the contents and pay me the money.

IS MONEY MY ONLY OPTION?? I don't want the money, because I know they will devalue my car...

(ONLY serious help and advice needed please)

If the date of birth given affects, especially by lowering, your premium, then you might find they refuse the claim. They seem to scrutinize everything now.

Agree. I think the Insurers have reasonable grounds to void the policy and reject the claim. Being given false information on two occasions, the Insurers would in my opinion have good reason to reject the claim and to void the policy.

The best that can be hoped for, is that being 8 years younger than the age declared, will not affect the underwriting of the risk and the Insurers will backdate the correct terms to the start of the policy. This will mean paying the Insurers the correct premium backdated to the start of the policy. I should imagine that the additional premium will be a sizable amount.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It would also depend on the actual age difference, i.e. if your actual age brings you into a different category, say under 25 0r under 21 then they might have refused insurance or maybe at a considerable increase in premium. You will just have to see if they spot the error and how they react.

As far as your claim they will not replace the car , just pay you the market value so you can replace it, that should not be the cash trade value but the actual cost to go out and buy a car in similar condition.