single tax credit claim letter

Sirroms86
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

somebody please help!i have recently recieved one of these letters.

now last year when i called them they asked are there any changes.

i said no, apart from me and my partner have split up but we are still living together (as we have a 2yr old)

the advisor then informed me i needed to change my claim to a single claim and i would be breaking the law if i left it as a joint claim.

i again reconfirmed that he was still living there and he said it doesnt matter as you are not a couple.

i have now recieved this letter even stating his name - and that he is living at my address - this is correct and i made sure that they knew this. now its like they are accusing me and going to take action! i didnt ask to change they told me i needed to! i feel like i have been set up!

now since january we have been discussing getting back together but i would no way say were a couple again how do i prove that!?

please help!!

The advisor was right in the sense that after an initial break-up it is ok for you to remain in the same abode.

However, it would be reasonably expected that at some point this arrangement would end and one of you would leave the property to live elsewhere. To prove you are not a couple then you have to prove you are not financially dependent on one another. If you are being paid tax credits as a single person, then single claimants receive additional help because they have extra bills to pay, if he is contributing then it defeats that purpose.

He would have been expected to vacate the property in a timely fashion if you were remaining there. He certainly cannot be paying any bills such as utilities or have any credit at that address. Digital tv like sky or virgin in his name is a big no-no with them too.

Think about it this way because they will be asked if this is a Compliance investigation - do people, your neighbours for example see you both as a couple?