Help! Windscreen crack on newly purchased used car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a used car from an independent car dealership in Essex approximately a week ago today.

Also purchased a 15 month extended warranty with the vehicle for extra cover.

This morning noticed a 12cm has developed in the windscreen.

Phone up he dealer and as I suspected he said that they do not cover windscreens and that I should go through my insurance.

Then he said that now that I have purchased the 15 month warranty with a separate company that this supercedes the 3 month warranty they offered.

Can;t they be held accountable under the consumer credit action should something like this happen to the car.

what should I do?

ladylovessalsa!

To be fair windscreens can't practically be covered by warranty unless the fall out. The crack could have been caused by anything hitting the screen between now and when you bought it.

I would have thought the 3 month warranty should still run concurrently with the 15 month you have purchased. Will have a look see what I can find.

Hi Freak!

Feel a little agrieved... Just want to be sure that they CAN just wash their hands of anything that happens now they have sold the car to me. I understand that the windscreen probably isn't covered, I've never had that happen before in 24 years and numerous cars on the road. What the hell is the warranty for then, because it beats me!

Edited by Ladylovessalsa
addition

sadly as with all warranties they are practically worthless

as SOGA covers everything for FREE.

warranties are in ADDITION to your statutory rights

eitherway though, windscreens are not covered.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Both these warranties will be next to useless anyway and certainly a complete waste of money to purchase one. Whatever happens to your car, you can bet it's fair wear and tear.

Check your insurance for the windscreen, it might be free or just a nominal sum payable.

i very much doubt it

prob be better to cancel and reclaim the extended warranty andget the screen replaced from that saving!

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If it is jsut a repairable crack in the windscreen, your insurance company will most likely cover it for free. If it needs replacing, most insurance companies ask you to make a fixed contribution of maybe 50 or £60. either way this does not count as a "claim" so there is no loss on NCB.

Windscreen damage is nothing to do with the warranty offered by or sold by a garage. Its pretty much the same as punctures too.

What they advised about your insurance company is also correct - providing you have comprehensive insurance, then most policies will cover windscreen damage in two ways.

1. Minor repairable damage will normally be fixed free by a repairer appointed by the insurance company. This will normally be stone chips or "bulls eyes" where air has got into the area through a chip. This is fixed by injecting a liquid plastic type mix in to replace the air. It is almost unnoticeable afterwards, and also will prevent the damage turning into a crack (normally in colder weather).

2. Unrepairable damage is normally fixed for the cost of an excess, £50-100. This will not damage your NCB, and fixing chips early can prevent the screen becoming unrepairable. So fixing it early makes sense, before it runs across the screen.