Advice re Freezer Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a own-brand freezer from John Lewis 4 years ago and it has developed a problem in that the plastic rear internal panel between the trays and inner workings has snapped away at one corner so the door won't shut properly unless I remove one of the trays.

In my mind a freezer should last more than 4 years in terms of quality of durability under SOGA as this part is never touched so shoudn't be subject to wear and tear, so I contacted John Lewis who gave me details of the authorised repairer. I tried to establish a cost of repair over the phone but apparently the broken part is not available for replacement. I went back to John Lewis who said they would contact Electrolux who had manufactured it.

They have now said that I need Electrolux's authorised agent to inspect it at a cost of £62 to me and if it is a manufacturing or inherent fault they will do something but not if its wear and tear. However, I think the agents will be biased to the manufacturer and I'm probably just going to waste £62 that I could put towards a replacement.

I'm annoyed because I think the product is at fault but doubt I will be able to prove it or am I being unreasonable in the first place expecting it to last longer. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

Stu

You will have the option of accepting that an Electrolux agent inspect the item or you find your own independent engineer to inspect both at your cost (Which would be reimbursed if it proves an inherent fault).

The law states that you need to prove the fault is inherent and not just wear and tear after 6 months, with the type of fault your describing (i.e plastic snapping), I would say that it wouldn't be as easy to prove as other faults.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks for your response. I think that I'm not going to be able to prove inherent fault so I might as well put the £62 inspection fee towards a replacement.

Stu