Hello and opinions wanted

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all my name is Heather and this is my first post on the forum, I have joined today for a reason and would welcome any input when I explain what happened to me today.I am a full time Carer, my daughter is 22 and has learning and physical difficulties, today I left her with a support worker and went shopping, one of the stores I went to was JJB Sports and I had been shopping for around ten minutes when I was approached by the Store Manager and an assistant and asked to "Leave the store" Apparantly the manageress from the store next door [Mothercare] had seen me passing the window of her store and identified me as someone who was stopped for shoplifting in Mothercare two months ago. I HAVE NEVER STOLEN ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!! I have been so upset all day in floods of tears and absolutely humiliated. I have since phoned both stores and Grampian Police who have told me that stores are within their right to ask whoever they want to leave.I feel so angry, hurt and frustrated and I really really do not want to let this matter drop. I don't know what to do now and it has made me feel as if I never want to go shopping ever again.

Hi, What an awful thing to happen.

I wouls suggest that you make a formal

complaint to Mothercare at theit UK head

office address, the manager is I believe

totally in the wrong here.

There is a case for defamation of character to.

The accusation that you had been stopped for

shoplifting is also something that would have

to be backed up.

Is there in your area any legal advice charities

that could help you on the spot, a solicitor who

could represent you maybe???

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I think a nice calm, letter to head office of both stores is in order here.

Write to them explaining how incredibly upsetting the experience was for you. Make sure that you put in a paragraph at the end explaining what your ideal resolution to the problem would be, so that they have an opportunity to put things right.

I'm sorry this happened to you - try not to let it get to you to the extent it stops you doing things though. If you'd like a hand writing the letter, there's lots of knowledgeable folk on here who would be happy to help.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

I would be more than happy to help with letters any

personal details could be sent to me by pm and I will

draft a letter for you.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I would write an extremely strongly worded letter of complaint to both retail outlets, effectively mothercare besmirched ur character without evidence, now JJB were in a difficult position but they took nothing more than hearsay and acted upon it, i would mention to mothercare head office slander and further civil action. I would at least demand either proof or a written letter of apology including a post in the local press abd a copy sent to JJB.

I don't think threatening court action is a good idea unless it's something you really intend to do. At this stage, it's probably just better to complain officially and see where it takes you.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Thank you all so much for your understanding, I have written an email of complaint to JJB's Head Office and I intend to do the same for Mothercare I have also contacted local press who I am positive will get back to me tomorrow. Is this a good idea do you think?

Thank you all so much for your understanding, I have written an email of complaint to JJB's Head Office and I intend to do the same for Mothercare I have also contacted local press who I am positive will get back to me tomorrow. Is this a good idea do you think?

Yes a very good idea, this kind of thing false accusations etc are getting out of hand,

this imo should hit national press.

hi heather,

whole thing totally disgusting, i cant advise you, as i have no knowledge on this sort of thing, I can

however advise you to take notice of those who have replied. Your lucky to have some of the best

viewing your post. i can offer a sounding board, if you want to scream shout swear, message me. Im

never ever offended. It sounds like the last thing you need.

Claire x

Hi

This sounds outrageous to me.

Another thing you could do is ask to see the evidence they have for this accusation against you. I would bet they have none.

While I agree that stores can refuse entry, this appears to have been done on the evidence and say so of another store.

Start to test them.....it may make you feel better and give some more weight to any further action you may decide to bring in the future

ims

Hi

This sounds outrageous to me.

Another thing you could do is ask to see the evidence they have for this accusation against you. I would bet they have none.

While I agree that stores can refuse entry, this appears to have been done on the evidence and say so of another store.

Start to test them.....it may make you feel better and give some more weight to any further action you may decide to bring in the future

ims

Also might be an idea to ask if images of her being asked to leave the store have been retained on CCTV. It's entirely possible that JJB have done so for their own records and future reference, given that Mothercare have left them with the impression that she's a shop-lifter. If so, the OP should ask for them to be removed.

Thank you again everyone, your comments have all been so kind and helpful. I had a terrible nights sleep, I think I managed about three hours in the end and this morning I got a telephone call from The Evening Express [our local paper] I burst into tears as I was telling the story to the journalist I talked to and they are very interested to run the story, running to the press is not something I would be inclined to do but in this case it feels like it may be the only way I am going to get any satisfaction, I will keep you updated.

This was horrible for you but unless you are very rich bring a case for defamation is not an option, it would be a high court action and would cost you thousands so best not to threaten it.

I think contacting the press was a good idea and with any luck the stores in question may have to make a public apology in the press, and prehaps they will send you a goodwill gesture as an apology aswell.

Good luck.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.