Debt management advice ; credit card debt passed to Link Financial

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have three credit card debts which I have not been able to meet the repayments on for over a year.

I make token payment of £1 per month on each and have done so for 6 months.

The total of all three debts is just short of £21,000 The largest creditor (under £15,000) now with Link Financial.

The other creditors are B. Diamond card £4,000 and Nationalised bank £1,500

The reason for my token payments is that I am unemployed at present - on JSA.

Successfully claimed back charges on the MBNA debt 4 years ago but did not do so with others.

I am going to ask my family to loan me the money for full and final settlement.

Any advice as to the best actions to move forwards ?

Thanks.

Edited by jim88888888
anonymity.

Hi jim

To start with (If you have not already done so) it might be worth having a good look through the links below to get a general idea on your options / information etc

https://debtremedy.cccs.co.uk/start.aspx

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/ (not funded by banks, lenders & creditors)

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

Nat Debtline fact sheet on Full & Final

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=24_full_and_final_settlement_offers

Any chance of you putting up more information on your overall circumstances as this may help us give you further guidence?

Best wishes

Hi Wintry,

Thanks for the links, I've just spent a while going through them mymoneysteps, nedcab and full & final on national debtline are to the point & useful.

I have a sub £1K overdraft that I pay a pound a day for.

Why I'm asking about full and final settlement :

If I get work and creditors again start charging interest I will be in a catch 22 position unable to pay down the capital amount (as I was for three years before my current unemployment).

I do not want to enter bankruptcy as it will harm my employment prospects both now and in the future.

That is why I want to make settlement now whilst the creditors may accept it ?

In short :

Rather end my debt mess and the financial insecurity it bring by repaying a loan to family members at small interest than sit it out until what appears to be a protracted piecemeal 100% repayment with interest that has a large risk of failing return to square one due to some other financial / health / employment misfortune :undecided:

Please ask if there is more info that would be of use.

Thanks again.

Edited by jim88888888
anonymity

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to be here.

I've outlined all of my debt financial circumstance in my reply to Wintry with some of the reasoning behind wanting a settlement.

Being on JSA is O.K. in terms of dealing with creditors but not somewhere I can stay - literally ; rent exceeds JSA/welfare.

The charges reclaim process from experience takes a long while so I'm weighing the risk of the amount of charges I may receive back (£1,000 to £2,000) against the potential of having interest reinstated on debts and having to repay the full amounts.

What I hope to achieve :

Remove credit card debt as cost effectively and relatively quickly as possible without entering bankruptcy, whilst importantly for me maintaining some chance that I may one day be able to get a mortgage.

My plan was to write to the creditors asking for copies of the loan agreements (all the credit cards have been held for over 10 years - MBNA 20 years old next year) IF the agreements are valid & I can get a loan from my family to simply offer settlement as advised on the boards here.

Reading up on the site presently - any pointers to threads welcome

Thanks again,

V.

N.B. just seen your reply - yep defaulted already so know credit is buggered, just want debt ended with banks/recovery agencies ASAP.

Edited by jim88888888
add acknowledgement to Vic post and anonymity

Hi again Jim

OK, so your CRF and mortgage prospects are b*ggered for 6 years where they have defaulted you; where they have not a simple solution is to stop paying until they do.

You are on JSA so they have no choice but to accept £1pm and freeze interest and charges; they then quicly lose interest.

Were you to start offering F&Fs they would smell blood and this is not helpful.

It is all a matter of tactics; in the end it's your call.

x

v

Hi,

Understood credit is b*ggered for 6 years - all three credit cards are in default and have been for 6 months so not a question of waiting to default.

As I understand it the implied course of action is to do nothing and continue to pay one pound a month to them? As offering settlement will cause them to ask for more !

is my best course of action to begin the process to reclaim charges & obtain original loan agreements ?

When I find employment would it not be normal for creditors to simply reinstate all of the debt & resume interest charges ?

I'm obviously missing/unaware of something here.

Thanks again,

V.

Edited by jim88888888
anonymity