TOC "over charging" customers - help me to understand this...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

And they say that train fares are a rip off!

Newcastle-London Kings Cross, 2x singles = £249

Newcastle-London Kings Cross, same trains, buying a multitude of single tickets between all the stations en-route = £193

So, same originating and destination stations, same train, same times, same stops on the way, but doing it 'my' way and buying 8x single tickets SAVES £56... 23%

How the hell do they explain over charging by 23%, when there IS no more cost to them in running the train.

I think I understand it, because it's a long journey you 'travel' through several of their 'peak' and 'off peak' times and benefit from buying individual single tickets due to the time changes, but that means everyone is OVERPAYING for the same journey that can't be arsed to work it out manually. It's took me about an hour, which most people won't invest to get that information - none of the train operators websites, nor the "Cheapest Fare Finder" on the National Rail website let you see this, you have to search for each section of your journey and find it yourself

You're doing it wrong then as I can get it down much more than that. Much fun to be had with loopholes in the system, although publicly disclosing them usually sees them getting closed ASAP.

In order to have a full appreciation of split ticketing, there a quite a few things you need to have an understanding of, primarily the history of Train Operating Companies and former passenger sectors. You must also understand that through tickets often grant the traveller more privileges and flexibility than split tickets do and that if you make a mistake, it could cost you £££s.

I can get it down to £140.70 walk up fare if you are travelling off peak with no railcards. Don't forget railcards save 33% as well.

Combining your rover ticket allows national rail conditions of carriage, section 19 part c to apply to this combination of tickets allowing you to combine tickets when the train doesn't stop there.

Freedom of north east 4 in 7 rover £85

Retford to Peterborough cheap day return - £26

Peterborough to Kings Cross - £29.70

Total - £140.70 the returning same day.

This took me 5 mins on my ipad, I'm sure if I spent a bit longer doing its could get this much lower as well. You just need to know the rules and routings.

Well..everyone knows train fares are very expensive, Im not sure 'overcharging' is correct term as that implies that you are being charged more than a price advertised or agreed.

Andy

My perception is that I'm being over charged when I have to pay more for the same journey, on the same train, but I take your point (and that's why it's in quotes)

The splitting fares system has been known about for years, I often hear that fares are going to be simplified but it never seems to happen.

It's only complicated if you make it complicated. National Rail is sufficient for offering the appropriate A - B ticket people require.

It's only complicated if you make it complicated. National Rail is sufficient for offering the appropriate A - B ticket people require.

We know that, but the A-B ticket clearly isnt always the cheapest ticket !. Splitting the journey in various places can be a lot cheaper, this is where it starts to get complicated.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Two single tickets for £117, two return tickets for same day £213, took me two minutes on the Raileasy website.

Two single tickets for £116.20, two return tickets for same day £159.10, from the East Coast Trains website

Chris

Edited by Starfury
Updating with more info

Largely (but not entirely) the difference in the price you're paying for is for the speed of the journey.

If you split your ticket, the trains you travel on must stop at the stations where your tickets change. For instance, find a nice cheap four ticket deal to Edinburgh from London and I can almost guarantee that you won't be travelling on the East Coast direct service and your journey time will rise accordingly. There are a few exceptions to the stopping rule, these mostly apply to season tickets and London Boundary Zone journeys.

I'd be interested to know the splitting points for the OPs journey so I can compare journey times with direct tickets.

As for simplifying the tickets, there's only one way of doing that, British Rail, not a myriad of competing companies.

Edited by HarrassedPower

Largely (but not entirely) the difference in the price you're paying for is for the speed of the journey.

If you split your ticket, the trains you travel on must stop at the stations where your tickets change. For instance, find a nice cheap four ticket deal to Edinburgh from London and I can almost guarantee that you won't be travelling on the East Coast direct service and your journey time will rise accordingly. There are a few exceptions to the stopping rule, these mostly apply to season tickets and London Boundary Zone journeys.

I'd be interested to know the splitting points for the OPs journey so I can compare journey times with direct tickets.

As for simplifying the tickets, there's only one way of doing that, British Rail, not a myriad of competing companies.

The splitting points appear to be Darlington, York, Doncaster, Newark Northgate, Peterborough. Single tickets split between those stations mean I can do there and back at a reasonable time of day for £160 :thumb: