Redundancy looming

laalinz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

We are officially in redundancy consultations at work.

We have been asked to look at ways in which we can save each others jobs. ie going part time and things. Not an option for me as I am on NMW and part time hours of 20 per week. The woman who also does the same job role as me is paid alot more per hour (she has being there longer) plus she is full time.

I tried to approach the subject of sharing hours but she cut me dead with the line "I cannot afford to go part time" so its looking like I will be made redundant.

My partner works on a 30 hours a week contract but regularly works more. My questions are

1. Will I be able to claim JSA?

2. What benefits might I also be able to claim, if any

3. Would I be able to get any help with college fees as I would really like to go and retrain, this is the 4 redundancy in 4 years and I would like a new direction if possible.

Thanks for any help and advice

:sad:

You can make a claim for Contribution based JSA and it depends if you meet the contribution conditions to be awarded the actual award and subsequent payment of JSA. Depending on the household income you may be entitled to receive Housing Benefut and Council Tax Benefit.

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx this link may be useful to determine if there are any benefts for your circumstances.

Funding for College fees has been withdrawn and you will only receive help enrolling with courses that are linked with the JCP offices and you will need to be referred by a personal adviser for those courses, if the college course that you want to do is over 16 hours per week it is classed as full time education and JSA will not be payable and you will need to apply for student funding or fund it yourself.

Hi all thanks for your advice.

I have looked into things and it seems that I should have paid enough NI to get contribution based JSA, I wouldn't get income based due to my partner's wages.

We already receive child tax credits but may be entitled to working after I lose my job.

We are currently on a Debt management plan (due to us both being out of work for a period of 7 months and getting ourselves into a mess trying to keep the house over our heads as a result) I have sat for two hours today and reviewed our financial position, have an appointment later today to update my plan.

Also looked at ways in which I can reduce our outgoing each month, so I am feeling a little more positive. Will use any unemployment time to chase PPI and unfair chargers on my debts and just hope I can get another job until the course I want to take starts in September.

Suppose its not the end of the world after all losing my job, just gonna be a little tighter each month.

Thanks again for your replies