style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You shouldn't deal with this agency. You should not give references upfront of your past employers. The agency will use this information to contact your former employers and establish a business relationship. It's am old trick and unemployed new to the agency game often fall for this trick.

You can say that you are willing to produce references and other details only on receipt of a contract offer.

The law requites that references and work history need to be checked "prior to engagement" not prior to consideration.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't deal with this agency. You should not give references upfront of your past employers. The agency will use this information to contact your former employers and establish a business relationship. It's am old trick and unemployed new to the agency game often fall for this trick.

You can say that you are willing to produce references and other details only on receipt of a contract offer.

The law requites that references and work history need to be checked "prior to engagement" not prior to consideration.

There's no law requiring references! Only the eligibility to legally work in the UK has to be checked.

Edit I was a contractor for many a year in large city law firms and banks without ever being referenced or needing them. It's a HR department tick box exercise for permy staff.

Other than that what we are talking about is a tactic when things are slow called fishing.

See point 1 here of Top 10 tricks used by recruitment agencies!

http://www.contractoruk.com/agencies/recruitment_agency_tricks.html

Edited by speedfreek

They also wanted me to chase up references from two of the companies that I temped for as the agency hadn't had a reply to their emails.

Also wasn't going to name the agency in question but it is Brook Street and wished I had found this before I had registered with them

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Recruitment-Agencies/Brook-Street-www-brookstreet-co-uk-review_2104253

Just to clarify, there is no issue with signing on but if the agency find employment, then a P45 from the Job Centre should be handed to the agency and they should process it as it gives the tax bracket otherwise you end up paying "emergency tax" which is at a higher rate. You do not have to hand it to the agency when you start work, but should do so at the earliest opportunity. A check should show that a P45 was issued by the job centre every time you signed off.

If no P45 is issued in time, you (or they) can fill in a P46. When I came off JSA around Christmas 2010, it took ages to get my P45; so had a P46 filled in instead.

There's no law requiring references! Only the eligibility to legally work in the UK has to be checked.

Yes, there is. It's the "The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003". Article 22:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/3319/regulation/22/made

Additional requirements where professional qualifications are required or where work-seekers are to work with vulnerable persons22.

(1) Where the work-seeker is—

(a)required by law, or any professional body, to have any qualifications or authorisation to work in a position for which he is to be supplied or introduced to a hirer;

(b)to be supplied or introduced to a hirer with a view to taking up a position which involves working with or caring for or attending any one or more persons under the age of eighteen; or

©to be supplied or introduced to a hirer with a view to taking up a position which involves caring for or attending any person who by reason of age, infirmity, or any other circumstances is in need of care or attention,

neither an agency nor an employment business may introduce or supply him to a hirer unless, in addition to the requirements in regulations 18 to 21, the requirements in paragraph (2) are satisfied.

(2) The requirements referred to in paragraph

(1) are that the agency or employment business has—

(a)subject to paragraph (3) obtained copies of any relevant qualifications or authorisations of the work-seeker, and offered to provide copies thereof to the hirer;

(b)subject to paragraph (3), obtained two references from persons who are not relatives of the work-seeker and who have agreed that the reference they provide may be disclosed to the hirer, and offered to provide copies thereof to the hirer; and

©in a case falling within paragraph (1)(b) or ©, taken all other reasonably practicable steps to confirm that the work-seeker is not unsuitable for the position concerned.

They shouldn't be chasing references unless you are actually doing work for them - most agencies just want them on file - I am signed up with 6 different ones at the moment and haven't had the trouble you are having.

There is no need to have documentation to cover periods of unemployment that I am aware of (and I have worked in HR./Recruitment for quite a while, and worked in agency offices.

Have they actually found you any work?

No they haven't found me any work yet :-(. However they contacted me again today and now they want me to give them a certified photograph confirming who I am.

I only went to them because I applied for a job online through their website.

However they contacted me again today and now they want me to give them a certified photograph confirming who I am. .

Sounds even fishier. Can you name and shame?

That kinda makes sense - The hoops you have to jump through for government/crown jobs are a little more convoluted than your typical Poundland vacancy.

A certified photo would be needed for an ID card, and they would certainly want breaks in employment to be accounted for. The fact that Brook Street are asking for a photo would suggest that you are under consideration for the job.

I used to temp for B.S. a few years back and ended up getting a full time job through them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

That kinda makes sense - The hoops you have to jump through for government/crown jobs are a little more convoluted than your typical Poundland vacancy.

No, it doesn't. A senior and experienced recruiter hasn't got the time to vet all possible candidates for references. They will make a shortlist and then verify references just before contacting the client. It's more likely a junior recruiter (often unpaid, an intern or some poor soul on Work Programme) who is building his portfolio.

Wasn't going to name and shame but it's Brook Street and the job i applied for is a government department.

Then them requesting references and a photo is about right as I had to go through the same in 2010. The photo is for your ID if you work in a govt department.

Your GP is typically someone that can do this for you. Failing that, a passport or driving licence might be acceptable as corroborating evidence for a more recent photograph.

Do you know any teachers in a social capacity that would be willing to sign off a photo ?

It still sounds extremely fishy to me. I worked for government department before, never was I asked to produce an authenticated photograph. This agency is taking the proverbial "mickey mouse".

It still sounds extremely fishy to me. I worked for government department before, never was I asked to produce an authenticated photograph. This agency is taking the proverbial "mickey mouse".

When I went to work for a government agency I was asked to produce a photo, however the agency authenticated it for me as they were my employees.

• 2 weeks later...

I was contacted this afternoon by an agency about a possible temporary job which is going to last for two weeks to cover staff holidays. However as I'm claiming JSA how will this affect me signing on and will my JSA remain open or will I have to make a new claim after the job ends.

Do I need to send my booklet back to my local job centre plus office?

Thanks

For 35 hours you'll need to sign off and make a rapid reclaim when the work ends, so send back your booklet or tell your adviser if you sign on before you start work. Don't do this until you're certain you have the work, though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

For 35 hours you'll need to sign off and make a rapid reclaim when the work ends, so send back your booklet or tell your adviser if you sign on before you start work. Don't do this until you're certain you have the work, though.

Just to add to this - Wait for a day or two before sending in notice to sign off just in case the job doesn't pan out as you expect. As long as you declare the correct date you commenced employment, you have a few days to post the notification.

Hope the job goes well and it may lead to something permanent!

I've always been put off doing just a couple of weeks work as in the past it was a right faff to get my claim back up and running again. I hope this 'rapid reclaim' thing is as good as it's name implies. I could never see why claims just couldn't be 'paused' for the duration of the temp work then activated again, with no change in circumstances. I thought that's what computers were good at?