Anyone up to speed on the law when purchasing a puppy?

foxyflugel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically, I lost my Great Dane last year and was totally devastated.

Apologies for the long post. I went to buy a new pup from a guy who lived about 70 mile away. When we (me & sis) got there he only had 2 left - I was going for the dog. He showed me the pups dad and his mum - he said the reason why he had been reduced was that they were £750 originally and a woman had left a £350 non-refundable deposit so I was paying the remainder as she had given back word.

He asked me to fill in my details on a form - gave me a petplan puppy pack with 6 weeks free insurance - gave me some of the food he was on - a worming tablet etc.

When I filled in my details on the sheet - it said Kc reg no applied for which he had ticked and also KC reg applied for which he had ticked. Then he explained the sentence which basically says I can't KC reg any pups if I breed with my dog - progeny or endorsement or something suchlike.

He gave me a 5 generation pedigree in my puppy folder and said that if I let him know what I had named him them he would register him in that name. I did this by text 2 days later - which he acknowledged.

After xmas I called him to chase his kc paperwork - this guy said he was glad I had reminded him and he would get straight onto it!!

I got a really bad feeling about this from the word go - the house stunk and was full of so-called 'rescue' animals ie parrots etc.

I called the Kennel Club and gave them the sires name off the pedigree cert and - he is kc reg - gave them the dams name -she is kc reg - but KC said that they have not had a litter of pups registered to that dam - ever!!!!

I called this guy and he tried to give me the same gubbins so I told him straight that I would give him a week and then would seek to take action.

To make matters worst, I called a breeder from the KC accredited breeder list in this guys area and would like to say I am surprise by what she told me but was not. She said if my pup was healthy and happy not to bother about the kc reg papers as he was one of the lucky ones!! Apparently she and others are petitioning to get this guy closed down as he churns out pups for money and a lot of people have lost their pups a few days after purchasing.

The man is a complete arse and obviously thinks he is above the law and laughing at everyone he deceives - not to mention the poor pups that have died.

Don't get me wrong, I love my little pup and (touch wood) he is fit and healthy and please don't tell me I should have looked on the Accredited breeder list - I did but no-one had any pups at that time anything like close to where I live.

Sorry for the long post, but any ideas on where I can go from here? Tbh the KC reg is not that important as he is just a pet but it's the misrepresentation and deceit in the sale - and I have noticed that other pups (even some that say KC reg) are going for as little as £260!!

You do not have to return your puppy to the breeder. You can claim damages for his deceit when saying the dog was KC registered and it wasn't. I run Sick Puppy Helpline UK where you will get lots of advice on what to do if you buy a puppy from a bad breeder. I don't really think in your case that you would have much of a claim to be honest. The puppy wasn't sold at full KC registered puppy price. I would certainly send him a letter advising him that if he doesn't forward the papers to you within 14 days you will take matters up with trading standards. They will be interested in somebody who is doing this. You can phone consumer direct and see what they say. FYI being an accredited breeder doesn't assure health either.....sadly! There are some excellent ABs but there are some that use the status as a marketing tool to sell their puppies.

Good luck

Gemspan

If you want to make a claim, you should calculate the difference in the price you paid and the value of a similar animal but without the promised pedigree. I don't know anything about this subject but on the basis of what you say, it seems that there might be a couple of hundred quid difference. that is the sum you woud sue for. It is a nice and easy small claim and because he is operating as a business, the case would be heard in your local court. If you won, I would then send the papers to the RSPCA and any other interested agency