Halifax Pet Insurance Withdrawl

JUKN
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dog Tasha has been insured with Halifax Xtra since April 2005. She has an ongoing claim for a leg problem which up to now we have controlled with Metacam but may need to operate on the leg in the future. When Halifax refuse her renewal in April this year i will have big problems getting her insured as all new policies will exclude the problematic leg.

Up to now i have not been informed by Halifax that they will not renew but obviously this is the case.

I will write to them now but am not optimistic as a single voice that i will be heard, surely we need to do something as a group to make certain that something is done to protect our precious pets?

You are quite right that group pressure will make a difference but the bottom line is that only court action will make the insurers take notice of you and take you seriously.

Yes, do write a letter to the Halifax. Also, use the same letter as a basis for a complaint to each of Trading Standards, the OFT and the FSA.

If you are prepared to take legal action, you will have to calculate the value of your claim.

This will be - likely cost of care for the existing ailment for the life of the pet

minus the fixed original excess which cam with the policy from day one

minus a portion of the annual premium - not the whole premium because you will be obliged to get insurance elsewhere for other non-existing (future ailments)

So, in your case (because we have discussed it)

average cost of care over a projected 5 year life expectancy of your dog £4500

less average fixed excess - presently £75 by rising by reasonable margin each month to, say £125 so annual average of £100 - = £500

less a portion of the annual premium (presently £260 pa but rising a reasonable rate per annum to, say £350 so annual average of £300 = £1500

Total claim = £2,500

You would have to claim for a lump sum which would be invested to produce interest so that the total did actually equal the £2,500 so, say you would sue for a lump sum of £2,250.

(I know that these are not the same figures as we discussed bu they are illustrative of the method you should use to work out your claim.

This means that you claim falls very comfortably within the present small claims limits which means you could sue with minimal risk to yourself.

I rate your chances as being very good.

I sent my letter off yesterday so will wait the stated 7 days for a reply, but i am not optimistic that this will solve my problem so guess i need to prepare for the next steps.

Well done. I'm not optimistic either but you have to lay down your marker before going on to the next step.

Did you send complaints to TS, OFT, FSA as well?

Let us know when you get any response - or no response at all.

I have sent the letter to the OFT, TSO and FSA and will let you know here if there is any response. Missed the moneybox programme on the radio but listened to it in retrospect on the PC and was pretty impressed.

Re the MOS article today just to say forgive their poetic licence, I would never ever consider putting Tasha to sleep because of this but I understand that it has more dramatic effect to include it in the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2099803/Pet-owners-urged-demand-compensation-Lloyds-Halifax-withdrew-covers.html

The insurers are bang to rights on this issue. As usual, they care more about their profits than their customers. They dreamed up a for life scheme intended to ensure repeat business from pet lovers for the life of their pet. When the insurers realised that they had miscalculated and that it wasn't such a good earner as they imagined, they pulled the plug on their clients and their animals. Now we see that the FSA has washed its hands of the matter and suggested that people complain to the Supine Ombudsman Service. People who have been let down by their insurers should go to the County Court - which is the only complaints route which worries the insurers. Meanwhile - what insurance company has Lloyds gone to to insure their old Black Horse - or do they simply get out the bolt-gun when it becomes a nuisance?

Actually silly me, I just realised that Lloyds doesn't need to insure their Black Nag for life.

They just come to the taxpayer for a bail-out whenever it gets sick.

Double-bonuses all round!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you.

As some of you already know i had to have Tasha put to sleep a fortnight ago when a large mass was found on her liver and was inoperable. This was a huge shock and totally unexpected.

Yesterday Halifax phoned to offer me £588 compensation and a £100 good will payment which i have accepted. if Tasha had still been here i would have fought on but as she is sadly no longer with us i have settled as i don't have the will to pursue it any further.

I wish all you others good luck in your campaign.