MBNA response to SAR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A little bit of advice would be useful here.

I sent a SAR to MBNA in December and they wrote back asking for proof of identification.

I enclosed a copy of my passport and some forms from the DVLA as proof.

I also included (as I had in my previous letter) a list of all addresses at which I had resided in the last 26 years.

I noticed that the cheque was cashed on the 6th January and believed that everything was progressing.

Today I received their response.

They state that they are unable to comply as they are unable to locate my account.

They've asked me to provide my current MBNA card/account number or, if I am unable to do that, let them have any other previous addresses.

They've raised a cheque refunding the fee and sent back a copy of my letter, my previous addresses, and my proof of identification.

Could anybody suggest what to do next?

Given that I've complied with their request (before they even asked me to!),

is this MBNA dragging their feet or incompetence?

how old was the account?

seems strange they can find nothing about you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The account was settled in full in 2003/2004 - it was at the end of one year/start of the next. Ironically, they sent statements to my current address (where I'd been living since 2000)

prob destroyed or claim to all data under the prevention of fraud act or something as its passed 6yrs.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I agree - that's a possibility, but as we all know such an action should produce an audit trail showing how/when/by whom it was destroyed. As many people on here have pointed out, however, MBNA has complied with such requests dating back to 1998 (that's the furthest back I know of).

How should I respond? They have written back to me and asked for my previous addresses to be provided to them but at the same time they've included the list of previous addresses that I sent them. Do I submit an LBA or do I send another letter before that step?

p'haps a monkey error?

i'd maybe write back

and clarify exactly why they wont elease the info

bearing in mine you have provided the info already?

dx

and they

UPDATE:

Having thought about MBNAs response (and gotten worked up about it!) I emailed the CEO, Ian O'Doherty, to complain and point out the irony that they wanted my previous addresses but had sent them back to me. He kindly replied and forwarded the email on to a Vice President in charge of Customer Relations, PPI, Accounts, etc. etc.

They've confirmed that they can't find me on their systems and that the data may have been purged. I've since discovered, however, a raft of cheque books (from my bank) which show that I had two accounts with MBNA, and provide dates showing when they were cleared in full (2 cheques to the tune of £11000 approx.) I've informed MBNA of this (giving them cheque numbers, dates, amounts, etc.) and they maintain that they probably don't have the information anymore. Any advice on the next step to take? I'd have thought it was clear cut that that I had accounts with cheques totalling that much. Does anybody know how far back MBNA actually retain transactions/statements/records for?

i'm sure there is an mbna thread that had this issue and someone got them back to the early 90's

they even posted the depts name and number

thought i'd marked it but cant find it yet

dx

and they

.......... forwarded the email on to a Vice President in charge of Customer Relations, PPI, Accounts, etc. etc.

Sorry to gatecrash the thread, but have you got an e-mail address for the VP mentioned?

I SAR'd MBNA on the 6th Jan and haven't heard a dicky-bird since. Not even an acknowledgement. Unsurprisingly, they've banked my cheque through.

I'd like to give them a nudge to "remind" them about the 40 day obligation

Can you help?

in the stickies of the mbna forum

dx

and they

@Tungata - I'll get back to you with the email address. My email host is down at the moment.

@dx100uk - I'll have another root around for the MBNA thread. It's not been mentioned in anything I've seen yet! If you come across it at all I'd be grateful if you let me know.