discrimination at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in collections for a major building society in the UK our normal working hours are between the hours of 9am -5pm, however as our lines are open until 7 pm, we usually have one person for each day who will cover a 2-8pm shift. It so happens that I requested some time off at work, only 3 days from Weds 18- Fri 20/01. On the Rota I was apparently down to work Thursday the 19th covering the late shift. I did not have a look at this because I would not be at work from the 18th and I had requested my leave from 9th January 2012.

This morning I returned to work and the first thing that greeted me from my senior who sits beside me was not how are you doing?or how was your weekend? It was that when I am booking holidays I should ensure I sort my late out before I go away in the future. I was stunned because she is actually the rota manager and it is her responsibility to check weekly that the late are covered. she has even sent an email regarding this to the team. Turning this around to say that it is my responsibility to do her job is quite unfair.

I was unwell before I went off on leave and she knew this, the last thing on my mind was work. When her friends go on holiday she sends emails to us all and asks for volunteers to do the late and there is usually someone available to cover the shift. I asked her if it was a problem getting the shift covered and she stated it was not, she instead covered the shift herself and didn't bother asking anyone. SO my big question is what is the point of mentioning that I didn't sort out my shift if it wasn't a problem, and the only reason it has been mentioned is because you were inconvenienced and because you know you didn't do your job properly.

I am an very quiet individual who just endures so much from this woman and I think because she knows I am quiet and I just come to work and go home, this is the reason for all of what I have had to endure from her these past few months. I think I need to speak to my team leader, who I might add is often bullied by this senior and ridiculed. This makes me think what exactly will become of it. ?

You certainly need to raise this as appropriate with the Team leader, and if not resolved to the management above your Senior as a formal Grievance. What you can't allege though is Discrimination unless you believe that her attitude towards you is motivated by your Race, Religion, Sex, Age, Disability etc. Whilst it might correctly be deemed discriminatory behaviour in terms of unfavourable treatment in relation to others, Unlawful Discrimination in employment terms has a rather narrower scope.

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

You hint of other problems, what are they? You also hint at being unwell, short term or long term problem?

I suspect you are an easy target for this woman. The trouble with targets and bullies is that they NEVER think that the worm turns. When they do they are gobsmacked.

I suggest you start gathering evidence, diary of events, emails proving favoritism dicisions that favor one over another inconsistant remarks etc you have to do this on a daily basis even if there was nothing happening on that day.

I suggest you start gathering evidence, diary of events, emails proving favoritism dicisions that favor one over another inconsistant remarks etc you have to do this on a daily basis even if there was nothing happening on that day.

Morning papasmurf and fortcharllote. Just to add to this, keep the information at home.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You hint of other problems, what are they? You also hint at being unwell, short term or long term problem?

I suspect you are an easy target for this woman. The trouble with targets and bullies is that they NEVER think that the worm turns. When they do they are gobsmacked.

I suffer from migraines due to medication I am taking. I had cancer at 17 which resulted in me loosing my ovaries n early menapause. I am 25. I also from just got away from an abusive parent. I have been under alot if stress and yet somehow I manage to do my work without errrors. This person however is constantly waiting for me to mess up. Every opportunity she gets she pounces.

I spoke to my team leader today and she stated she would highlight this in performance reviews. She too has been subjected to this persons discriminatory behaviour and has advised our manager of this.

My team leader confirmed that it was everyone's responsibility to check lates were covered. It is team leader to the person who devised the Rota to myself. My team leader said she was surprised something had been said.

I have been writing stuff down that I have noticed because this individual needs to be called out.

your team leader is trying to fob off responsibility, its the team leaders job and they have failed in their job so they are trying to pass the buck onto you and blame you, you need to put a grievance in, start making a diary and start at looking at ET down the line, don't be bullied stand up for yourself, get that grievance put in asap