No electricity bill and supplier denying being the supplier

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I moved into my property in 2005 and Scottish Power were my supplier for my electricity. I received my bills quarterly and they were paid however they stopped arriving around the start of 2009. I then had a visit from one of their sales men at my door asking me to sign up to them, as far as i was aware i was still with them but the sales man showed me on his tablet that i was no longer with them and found it strange that i hadn't received a 'sorry your leaving us' letter. He suggested that i may have been tranfered without my knowledge as i hadnt agreed to leaving Scottish Power or signed up with another supplier. He advised me to phone the electric board which i did to be told that N Power were now my suppliers. I have never spoken to a N Power sales person or even tried to swap my supplier so i found that rather odd. I emailed N Power regarding this, the asked for my address and name and replied stating that they had no one under that name or address as being one of their customers. I sent them my meter serial number which they did have on their system however it wasn't my name or address. The person who was replying to emails couldn't tell me how i was supposed to fix this as they wouldn't speak to me as i didn't hold an account with them.

So the question is, how do i sort this? As i'm clearly going to have a nice bill from 2009 to now but have two suppliers that i dont have accounts or contracts with. How do i get the bill and who do i pay it to? and is it the full 3 years or? Any help would be great as i would like this sorted.

Thanks for any advice

Npower have registered the wrong MPAN (supply) and are sending the bills to some one else. Probably a neighbor. You need to contact Scottish Power with your meter serial number and asked them to raise an Erroneous Transfer as Npower never had your permission to take over the supply. Do not let SP fob you off. SP should arrange the ET and transfer the supply back to themselves. This means you will have to pay for the period when you were not charged but you can get them to spread the payments.

It is true that Npower cannot discuss the account with you, but they can give you the MPAN number associated with the meter serial number that you give them. The customer that Npower were billing should get all their money refunded, but that is not your issue. Npower did the same to us and eventually we got them to pay out £170 in compensation. They also billed another tenant, who did not have a gas supply, over £2000!

You will need to request the ET before taking it up with Ofgem.

Edited by Surfer01

hi Surfer01

thanks for your reply. According to N Power, my meter number is being used at a women round the corners address which is the exact same as mine except im cres and shes street, so surely the bills she has received would be hers as i have never had a meter reading?

Raydetinu, thanks for your reply i have read elsewhere that i should only have 12 months worth of electricity to pay but will have a look again and at the ofgem website.

Rebel11 thanks also, i will have a read at those links and contact the rep who could maybe help me some more

hi Surfer01

thanks for your reply. According to N Power, my meter number is being used at a women round the corners address which is the exact same as mine except im cres and shes street, so surely the bills she has received would be hers as i have never had a meter reading?

Raydetinu, thanks for your reply i have read elsewhere that i should only have 12 months worth of electricity to pay but will have a look again and at the ofgem website.

Rebel11 thanks also, i will have a read at those links and contact the rep who could maybe help me some more

The bills she received were for meter readings on your meter so technically you should have been paying those bills which should have come from SP. It is possible that both of you on the mainframe system have the same meter serial number. Npower need a Meter Operator to visit the premises and to determine the correct meter serial number for the woman around the corner. Insist on this happening as they are the ones that have the incorrect meter and MPAN registrered. MPAN is name given to the actual supply cable onto the premises and is a very long number. At the same time contact SP and advise that Npower have incorrectly registered your meter to a woman around the corner without your permission and you would like the meter to be transferred back to SP. Chasing both helps. Once they have sorted all this out then we can discuss billing and compensation.

Edited by Surfer01

Hi Surfer01,

Ok i'll try contact NPower after i've heard back from Graeme to see were Scottish Power stand with this. I did however discover an email that was put in the wrong folder from Npower that says

"I have checked the serial number you have given us and we have this registered to address: *****************. But not in your name on our systems.

I have raised a meter investigation for your meter serial *********** and your supply number is ***************.

The investigation reference is **********.

Looking at the account I think we have possibly taken over your meter in error, which is called and (ET) erroneous transfer. We will investigate this, amend our records and transfer your supply back to Scottish power as though you never left.

I hope this spreads some light on the situation, and we will endeavour to have this resolved as soon as possible"

Clearly they never bothered to sort this as i never heard anything back after receiving that email.

Hi Surfer01,

Ok i'll try contact NPower after i've heard back from Graeme to see were Scottish Power stand with this. I did however discover an email that was put in the wrong folder from Npower that says

"I have checked the serial number you have given us and we have this registered to address: *****************. But not in your name on our systems.

I have raised a meter investigation for your meter serial *********** and your supply number is ***************.

The investigation reference is **********.

Looking at the account I think we have possibly taken over your meter in error, which is called and (ET) erroneous transfer. We will investigate this, amend our records and transfer your supply back to Scottish power as though you never left.

I hope this spreads some light on the situation, and we will endeavour to have this resolved as soon as possible"

Clearly they never bothered to sort this as i never heard anything back after receiving that email.

I should have said that email was received in 2009

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a wee update. I spoke to Graeme and he confirmed when my supply was tranferred and my last meter reading. He also informed me that they can only bill me for 12 months of electricity. I have since emailed NPower and now have their complaint team dealing with the issue. Shall let you's know what they say