Trying To Close A Settled Account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I normally post on the RBS forum, but I have had a problem with MBNA and wonder if anyone can advise - I am afraid that it doesnt really have to do with charges per se.

A few months ago I settled all 7 of my credit card accounts and closed them. The only ones that have continued to send statements and have managed to create activity on my account since settlement are MBNA.

Despite a number of phone conversations over a two week period where I asked how much I needed to pay to settle the account including outstanding payments and interest and checking to see if my payment had been reiceived and that my account was settled, they still tried to take a pyment form my bank account. They now instst that I owe them money and that they will continue to charge me if I do not pay.

After a heated telephone conversation yesterday with a 'customer assistance' operative I was informed that any figure they gave me to settle the account would always be incorrect and wouldnt take into account 'residual interest'. He also inststed that the figure on my monthly statement wasnt an accurate recoed of my account. Towards the end of teh conversation he offered to take off £24 applied in charges if I made the payment - I refused on the basis that he hadnt explained how I had accrued debt in the card after I had cleared the balance.

MBNA seems to be the only company the operates on this basis.

Can anyone offer any insight??

Thanks

Bigdaddy:confused:

They really are unbelievable.

This would make a good story for Watchdog. (see main page of forum)

...they seem to like to keep peoples accounts open despite people asking to close them. ...and then the phantom spender strikes.

I had this problem with MBNA, as they seem to accrue interest on a daily basis you can never get an exact figure. IIRC they will graciously waive a balance amount under £1, or you can overpay and then get it back. Not a very satisfactory state of affairs.