Police and Shared Areas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I couldnt find a more suitable one to ask this question.

I live in a flat thats one of 4 in a converted seaside hotel in a well known South of England Resort.

However across the road is another larger-ex hotel thats been converted and is currently full of for want of a better phrase asylum seekers and there has been a couple of "incidents" outside and we have had the police round asking for witnesses and as this building offers the best vantage point I have twice in the last month been disturbed by the police literally hammering down the door to my flat.

My question is this, cant once let into a building by another tennant then do they have the right to roam the corridors banging on flat doors for witnesses or do as they suspect have to ring the doorbells for each separate flate and wait until invited in.

Only asking as the last time they woke me up at 5:30am which I was none too happy about.

Since no-one seems to have picked this one up I'll give a "common-sense" view, but not an authoritative answer.

For a start, Police do NOT have a right of access to your private dwelling at any time without a warrant.

As to the habit of banging on doors for witnesses at 5:30 am, this is simply bad practice or possibly even abuse of the privilege of being let in to the building in the first place.

I would say a simple leaflet appeal for witnesses posted through the letterbox would be quite sufficient. They could call back later in the morning, at a sensible time.

Maybe a complaint about this practice to the Chief Constable may be in order.