About to Voluntary Terminate car. Car developing mechanical faults. Help.

jbscotland
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am About to Voluntary Terminate my finance agreement after paying over half. The Car has developed serious faults.

According to BVRLA 's fair wear and tear guidelines and Customer services Mechanical aspects of the car are not checked merely exterior and interior appearance of the car.

The rep is due to collect the car early next month. I thought the rep was going to put the car on the back of a transporter but it turns out the rep is to drive the car away. Upon startup/driving away the rep will see that there are faults.

Question:

Can I just give all documents/v5/mot/service history, then let the rep inspect the vehicle and get the paperwork?

Has anyone VT'd a car with mechanical faults before?

I would think it depends on how serious and how obvious any fault may be at the time of collection. If the fault(s) show up immediately upon starting the engine, then I think the risk of them not taking the car will become quite high. Remember the CCA uses terms like "reasonable condition" which to be fair to the car company, I think, would include being in working order and fit for purpose, ie drivable!

I have VT'd a car before that was repeatedly showing an engine management light, which I discovered was related to the O2 lambda sensor. I had it replaced once but it faulted again after a period of time and was quite expensive to keep changing. I could get the warning codes reset but this only lasted a week or 2. So I made sure it was the last thing I did on the car before handing it back to the company. So, if it faulted again in a couple of weeks time, they could hardly come back and blame me could they? :)

If it is an obvious mechanical fault it will be discovered when it reaches whichever remarketing outlet your finance company uses eg Manheims. All VT vehicles are test driven to confirm the customer isn't dropping a broken down tub.

Depending on your finance companies policy, they will either return it to you at your expense or sell it as is and recover the balance from you.