Totally Gobsmacked

foxyred
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a Barclays account since 2000 when I was a mature student at uni. It was a student account but after leaving uni it was transferred to a post-graduate account.

I have an overdraft limit of 1500 on it but am currently 330 (pound signs bust sorry) overdrawn. I have to admit that I haven't made any payments for a while as I've been unemployed. I was quite impressed with Barclays because they hadn't sent any nasty letters and had phoned me to find out if everything was alright. I explained my situation and they were quite nice about it.

I continued getting my statements as usual. The last one was 16 Feb and it had the balance and in the about your next statement section it simply stated the charges that would apply to my account, 27.38 for overdraft interest and that it would be taken from my account on 10 March.

Yesterday I received a letter from them saying "Your Barclays Bank PLC account has now been transferred to Debt Managers Ltd and a file referral fee of 25.00 has now been added to your account. We will no longer accept any further communication from you."

It then gives the Debt Managers contact details etc.

I was just totally gobsmacked as I'd had no letters saying that this might happen, I've had no other communication with Barclays apart from the bank statements which made no mention of this.

After seeing all the letters that we have to send to the banks to give them notice of our intentions, can Barclays do this without letting me know what their intentions were?

Lloyds TSB claim £1896.27

Need to send DPA to Barclaycard and Barclays Bank

That's what I thought. I was given no indication whatsoever. I've looked to make sure I hadn't missed any letters from them but I haven't at all.

I forgot to add that at the bottom of the letter it tells me that I mustn't continue using my cards, cheque book as this would be a criminal offence and proceedings may be taken against me.

It also says that I have to make full payment of the outstanding balance to Debt Managers blah blah blah.

I'm stunned still and didn't know what to do. I'm going to contact Debt counselling and see what they say.

That would be the best thing, as they will be able to give advice on scheduling the repayments. However, it is worth looking into the charges over the past six years since this could well substantially reduce your debt.

Check out the FAQ section for more info:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

(pound signs bust sorry)

If you hold down ALT at the same time as typing 156 you will get the pound sign. In writing all these letters you will need it...:rolleyes:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks