Buying a car from Republic of Ireland

kenc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am considering buying a used car from the Republic of Ireland, the car has Irish tax and registration. The DVLA website indicates that a UK citizen cannot drive a non UK registered car in the UK and it must be registered and taxed in the UK to be driven legally. As I read it however the car must have a valid UK MOT before registration and taxation. Can I legally drive the car from the ferryport where it comes into the UK directly to the MOT garage nearest my home for a pre-booked test, a distance of about 100 miles. I will have insurance.

BE CAREFUL.... loads of cars from the UK get sent from Holyhead to Dublin every day.

The reason is that the Irish LIKE UK cars because a 60,000m UK car has loads of life left in ti whereas a 60000m IRISH car will be worn out.

The reason being that their roads are generally b****y awful!

So be prepared for the suspension and steering to be worn out.

TBQH unless the car you're buying is really really really cheap I'd leave it. If its a Japanese grey import you'll be ok though (probably) ie a car bought directly at auction in Japan and shipped to Eire

Registration is not normally a problem, you can insure it for now on the chassis number then tke it for MOT which they will also do onthe chassis number, you take the Irish V5 + MOT + anything else you've got to your local DVLA office, some of them in there have 'NO' as a middle name but if you get a decent one you'll come out with yuor car registered that day.

It's a load of effort for not much return, you're better off with a UK car everytime I reckon.

I think your crazy, I have lived in Ireland for years. No 1 Irish roads are dire and the cars will usually have lots of problems as a result. No 2 Irish cars are usually serviced by someone down the road and the last time they will have seen a main dealer is the day they were sold. No 3 Irish insurance repair most cars and its near on impossible to check for write offs. No 4. You will get a lot more car for your money here.

Many thanks for your reply, the car I have in mind is a restored classic car in excellent condition, I'm just wondering if I can legally save myself a few hundred pounds in transportation costs by driving the car directly from the docks 150 miles to my local MOT garage for a pre-booked test. The DVLA guideline are a little vague - you are allowed to drive an unregistered car to a pre-booked MOT but would the circumstances I have described be acceptable.