Harsh Ultimatum

ScottJ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught doing "64 mph" on a 70mph motorway at 23:30 in an "average 50mph due to roadworks" zone.

When I first received this fine, I was unaware of the terminology of being "caught" at a static speed in an average zone. I was under the impression that doing 64 mph is fine if it's balanced out by lower speeds later on to receive an average of 50mph.

I then sent a letter asking for the proof of this, to which I had no response. Now after the ability for me to attend a driver's awareness course and not receive points on my license has passed, the police have finally supplied the information, fully admitting they did not originally send the information requested - but due to the delay I am now no longer able to do this course and must receive the points.

My question: Why am I being punished for the delay/misconduct of replying to my initial letter, and do I have a right to complain about the points being forced upon me?

Here are the letters sent/received: imgur(dot)com/a/0ywU5 [sorry I'm not allowed to post links]

My question: Why am I being punished for the delay/misconduct of replying to my initial letter, and do I have a right to complain about the points being forced upon me?

You are getting punished for doing 64 in a 50mph area not for anything else.

Thinking you can do 100 mph for half the roadworks and then do 1 mph for the other is a pretty stupid excuse

Aside from the point, the road is normally 70mph - it's 50 due to the safety of the roadworks staff (who don't work at 11pm on a Saturday when I was caught).

The point is, I'm getting punished by not being able to take the course because of their delays. I admit I should pay for the speed I was doing, but I shouldn't be cheated out of the awareness course to prevent points being put on my licence because they didn't respond to my letters.

Aside from the point, the road is normally 70mph - it's 50 due to the safety of the roadworks staff (who don't work at 11pm on a Saturday when I was caught).

Frustrating though that maybe, it would have been 50 for various reasons.

Including not just the safety of the workforce who knock off at night but for motorists at all hours.

I assume the carriageway was not to normal unobstructed motorway specification but had lane(s) closed or reduced in width, temporary lane markings, or incomplete central crash barrier, or with cones guiding through areas where there could be no surface or obstacles like materials and machinery close to the available carriageway.

Irrespective of valid reasons or otherwise, if the 50 was properly signed the limit is 50 and you have no cause for complaint about this point.

The point is, I'm getting punished by not being able to take the course because of their delays. I admit I should pay for the speed I was doing, but I shouldn't be cheated out of the awareness course to prevent points being put on my licence because they didn't respond to my letters.

There I feel for you, but cannot help. Others no doubt can, and will.

You have no right whatsoever to any 'proof' or 'evidence' until your case comes to Court.

What you were offered is the opportunity to take 3 points and a fixed penalty instead of course. There is no requirement for any course to be offered and some areas don't do them at all.

The demand that you made for evidence when you had no right to it has caused delays on your part that has resulted in the withdrawal of the offer of a course. The authorities are time-limited in laying a case before a Court and any messing about by the accused simply moves everything closer to a Court appearance.