Any info would be appreciated

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have started this thread on behalf of a freind as he does not have access to a computer.

He has moved into his house about 3 months ago, but he had the keys given to him about 4 months ago but did not move in until a month after as there was no electric and the landlord was going to arrange for the meter to get fixed. He didnt mind as he had asked if he could repaint the living room and slowly get all his furniture moved in.

He explained to the landlord that he was going to repaint and move his stuff in and the landlord only gave him a back door key as the landlord explained that the front was to be kept for the electricians who would need to gain access to get the electricity up and running.

He has paid all his rent up to date up till now but only from the actual date he moved in (3 months rent). The landlord has now stated that as he had the keys for four months, he wants 4 months rent, even though he had not moved in entirely and did not even have a front door key and no electric.

Does he have to pay from the month he had the back door key, or should his tennancy start from when he actually moved in? He didnt move in prior to this as there was no electric but was not to bothered as he was allowed the back door key to redecorate the living area in the daytime when there was enough light to do so.

Surely the landlord cannot allow someone to move in with no electric and cannot demand money for the month that he only had the backdoor key but not moved in?

Also the landlord has since contacted his parent and has dicussed the problem with her over the phone as my freind could not be reached on the day as he was in work. The landlord discussed matters that had nothing to do with anyone other than the land lord and my freind in question. Surely this is not allowed and all information held should be kept confidential even if it was his mum?

Any help would be appreciated so that i can pass it on to him, he is getting really worried now and is not sure what to do. I have told him of this web site and explained that i will start a thread to try and get him some help which he is most grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and look forward to your replies

Becky :razz:

ABBEY: Owed £1.140 :mad:

06/07/06 - Requested Statements

07/08/06 - Request For Repayment Letter Sent Totaling £1,140

29/08/06 - LBA Sent

15/09/06 - Received reply offering £570 as a final settlement

25/09/06 - Accepted offer but ONLY as a partial repayment, & notified them that i am still going to persue for the remainder of the money

01/10/06 - Set up court date

1st it sounds like he has a lousy landlord & he should start looking around for somewhere else to live now. This landlord gives every impression that he's going to be an ongoing problem for you friend.

If he agreed to let your friend have a key only so he could decorate & there was no electricity then he his renaging on the deal & you friend can refuse to pay.

Yes it is a breach of the DPA for the landlord to discuss private matters with the parents unless you friend gave the landlord their no as a means of contact & didn't tell him NOT to divulge information.

Questions that need answered.

Does he have a tenancy agreement & from when is it dated.

Has the electricians work been inspected & certified by the electricity supplier.

Is your friend the registered with the utility company as the customer & if so from what date

As well as the above the meter tariff setting should have been checked to ensure that the landlord is not onselling the supply to your friend. In other words the landlord can only charge the same for the utility supply that it costs him.

An example would be (& it used to be common practice) if you go onto a caravan site & want electricity supplied to your van & the site owner asks for an extra fixed payment then they are breach of the law

Thanks both for replying, i am going to print out you replies and show them to my feind so that he can answer the questions asked.

I do know that his parent did not go as guarantour.

Thanks both i will let you know how it turns out

Becky :p

ABBEY: Owed £1.140 :mad:

06/07/06 - Requested Statements

07/08/06 - Request For Repayment Letter Sent Totaling £1,140

29/08/06 - LBA Sent

15/09/06 - Received reply offering £570 as a final settlement

25/09/06 - Accepted offer but ONLY as a partial repayment, & notified them that i am still going to persue for the remainder of the money

01/10/06 - Set up court date