Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick point. Placing adverse data on credit files gives a claim for substantial damages not the £1000 that has been suggested by some.

Paul

Agreed, (where the data is wrong or inaccurate, of course) but there is some precedant to say that £1,000 is the damage recoverable by a personal banking customer that was wronged by a mistake on the other parties behalf; (kpohraror v woolwich building society [1996] C.L.C. 510)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/115630-pricing-default.html

Having said that, as damages is at the discretion of the Court, I can't see this being binding. In fact, I was in Court with Barclays on this exact issue on Friday and the Judge was having none of it - there's another hearing ahead, but I think I may just rely on s.13 DPA 1998 instead.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, (where the data is wrong or inaccurate, of course) but there is some precedant to say that £1,000 is the damage recoverable by a personal banking customer that was wronged by a mistake on the other parties behalf; (kpohraror v woolwich building society [1996] C.L.C. 510)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/115630-pricing-default.html

Having said that, as damages is at the discretion of the Court, I can't see this being binding. In fact, I was in Court with Barclays on this exact issue on Friday and the Judge was having none of it - there's another hearing ahead, but I think I may just rely on s.13 DPA 1998 instead.

Cheers CAR Ive been looking for this thread for weeks

HAK

Car/All

Actual damage given in that ruling was default amount +£1000, so total was (I think) £5500

This was for a dishonured cheque, so my argument would be CRA data is at least, if not more damaging than this

The COA judge stated he had no problem in accepting damages of this level should be awarded for damage to a persons credit reputation as it effects ability to obtain mortgage, bank accounts etc

Dont know why your judge would argue this, as the court of appeal was civil division so is binding?

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

I think he hasn't seen the link between dishonoured cheque and unlawful Default on a CRA file.

He also thinks its a claim for defamation, which I can understand.

As you say, it's binding on the Court, so I'll have to see what happens in the final hearing.

The bank are trying to complicate the case, of course, so I've got my work cut out to put my case forward to pursuade him. If the Judge takes their view, he can consider it as pursasive only and not follow the Judgment if they can distinguish my case from the binding decision.

Car/All

Actual damage given in that ruling was default amount +£1000, so total was (I think) £5500

This was for a dishonured cheque, so my argument would be CRA data is at least, if not more damaging than this

The COA judge stated he had no problem in accepting damages of this level should be awarded for damage to a persons credit reputation as it effects ability to obtain mortgage, bank accounts etc

Dont know why your judge would argue this, as the court of appeal was civil division so is binding?

The £1000 was for damages to his reputation in Nigeria.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Hi HAK

T&C posted as follows. Not vey clear though. I do not know if this is original.

HFCtc.jpg

Thanx T33

Trev, it would appear that this agreement is completely enforcable.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Trev, it would appear that this agreement is completely enforcable.

What is my next move. Do I start paying them as it took them 10 months to produce agreement.

I have read loads of threads on this but still not sure about it not being signed by HFC. Where do I stand? T33

What is my next move. Do I start paying them as it took them 10 months to produce agreement.

I have read loads of threads on this but still not sure about it not being signed by HFC. Where do I stand? T33

One of my HFC agreements wasn't signed by them neither, but I still think it's enforceable despite this - remember that a legal agreement to perform a task doesn't require a "signature" as we know it, as that written squiqqle isn't the legal definition of "signature", which is a committment to perform some obligation in return for a benefit. I won't get too technical here, but the absence of a creditor signature may only result in an improper execution - but a Court would allow execution by Court Order because you have had the benefit of the agreement, so it's unjust for the creditor not to receive the same benefit.

There may be other issues with the account, such as unlawful Default and penalty charges or missold PPI that could give you grounds to challenge them on - if you can prove you were prejudiced by this improper execution, you may escape an enforceable debt, but it's unlikely in reality. (Worth a go though!)

@Paulwlton

Paul, first of all can I congratulate you on your stand against RBS. I hope you will take my comments as constructive criticism, but I disagree with your interpretation of Kpohraror. eg:

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulwlton viewpost.gif

Paul

Reading the judgement I believe it is clear that the damages (£5,500) were awarded as follows:

The assessment of damages came before Master Tennant in chambers on 16 February 1994. He awarded £5,550 with interest as general damages for the injury to the plaintiff's credit by reason of the dishonour of the cheque and the apparently discreditable reason given for it, which was of course unfounded.

Lord Justice Evans finished his judgement with:

The above conclusions mean that I would dismiss both the appeal and the cross-appeal, and would uphold the master's award of general damages of £5,550. He said that it was 'somewhat coincidental', that this was £1,000 more than the amount of the cheque, although I think he meant by this that the appropriate sum by way of general damages could be calculated in that way in the circumstances of this case. This amount, as he explained, contained some allowance, though not very great, for injury to the plaintiffs credit and reputation in Nigeria such as was alleged to have occurred.

The circumstances of the case are that the Woolwich acted very quickly to remedy their error, rather than the typical case we see here where bad credit records are maintained for months and sometimes years.

My personal view is you start with the 'default sum' which is then adjusted up depending on the actions of the defendant.

Dad

------------------------------------------------

HFC, PPI - With FOS

NatWest, Default Removal - In Progress

Intelligent Finance, Default Removal & Charges Claimback - In Progress

HSBC, Default Removal & Charges Claimback - In Progress

Abbey, Bank Charges - In Progress

Lloyds, PPI **WON**

Halifax, Charges - Court Claim **WON** Donation Made To CAG

GE Money, Charges - Court Claim **WON**

GE Money, PPI **WON**

HFC, Charges **WON**

Halifax, PPI - Court Claim **WON**

Vodafone, Default Removal **WON**

One of my HFC agreements wasn't signed by them neither, but I still think it's enforceable despite this - remember that a legal agreement to perform a task doesn't require a "signature" as we know it, as that written squiqqle isn't the legal definition of "signature", which is a committment to perform some obligation in return for a benefit. I won't get too technical here, but the absence of a creditor signature may only result in an improper execution - but a Court would allow execution by Court Order because you have had the benefit of the agreement, so it's unjust for the creditor not to receive the same benefit.

There may be other issues with the account, such as unlawful Default and penalty charges or missold PPI that could give you grounds to challenge them on - if you can prove you were prejudiced by this improper execution, you may escape an enforceable debt, but it's unlikely in reality. (Worth a go though!)

Thanx car2403. Are you an early riser or a night owl going by the time of your post.......

I have had a lot of bother with this debt.....I wont go into details....but I would like to do something to challenge them. What do you suggest. T33

Thanx car2403. Are you an early riser or a night owl going by the time of your post.......

I have had a lot of bother with this debt.....I wont go into details....but I would like to do something to challenge them. What do you suggest. T33

Early riser trevor - I'm up with the excited dog waiting by the letterbox for the post to arrive these days!

Have you a thread on this I can look at? If not, worth starting one and posting a link up.

Early riser trevor - I'm up with the excited dog waiting by the letterbox for the post to arrive these days!

Have you a thread on this I can look at? If not, worth starting one and posting a link up.

Don't have a thread on this but would be greatful for any help. How do I post a link................t33

@Paulwlton

Paul, first of all can I congratulate you on your stand against RBS. I hope you will take my comments as constructive criticism, but I disagree with your interpretation of Kpohraror. eg:

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulwlton viewpost.gif

Paul

Reading the judgement I believe it is clear that the damages (£5,500) were awarded as follows:

Lord Justice Evans finished his judgement with:

The circumstances of the case are that the Woolwich acted very quickly to remedy their error, rather than the typical case we see here where bad credit records are maintained for months and sometimes years.

My personal view is you start with the 'default sum' which is then adjusted up depending on the actions of the defendant.

Dad

Am i right in saying compensation was awarded to the value of the dishonored check for £4550, and £1000 for damages he was likely to suffer in Nigeria.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks