Can I be forced to move offices?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Quick question.

I have been told that as part of a project, in order to have greater "visibility", I am going to be relocated to another (new) office for at least 12 months.

I currently live about 3 miles away from my place of work, and the new office is 20 miles away. So apart from the obvious increase in travel costs, there is also a huge impact upon personal life.

This is not due to a change of job role, or due to any changes in the office where I currently work.

My questions are twofold:

1) Can I refuse to move?

2) Can I refuse to move, if I am told that additional travel costs will be reimbursed?

Cheers!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I suspect that in your contract there will be a proviso stating that you can be asked to move to another location if business needs dictate. Thats not to say you can't object with valid reasons why its not possible for you to move.

My suspicion is that the best course of action would be to raise a greivance through the recognised channels explaining why you feel the request is unreasonable and asking them to reconsider. Thats not necessarily going to give you the answer you require but at least your concerns have been voiced.

With regards to refusing to go, I suspect you could land yourself in bother if you do refuse to go. Given how most companies word their contracts, I suspect they'll have clauses that permit them to move you to a reasonable location, and lets face it 20 miles is hardly the end of the eartth.

With regards to costs incurred in moving to another office, I would suggest a one to one with your line manager and ask them if they are prepared to assist in your additional costs IF you agree to go. Basically "I don't really want to go, but for the good of the business I will do it, but could you cover the additional costs"

Its not a case of saying no and refusing, its a case of making sure that if they insist you do go, you get the best deal out of it, and the best way to get what you want is to show flexibility and willing.

You scratch their backs, and I am pretty sure they will scratch yours.

I suspect that in your contract there will be a proviso stating that you can be asked to move to another location if business needs dictate. Thats not to say you can't object with valid reasons why its not possible for you to move.

My suspicion is that the best course of action would be to raise a greivance through the recognised channels explaining why you feel the request is unreasonable and asking them to reconsider. Thats not necessarily going to give you the answer you require but at least your concerns have been voiced.

With regards to refusing to go, I suspect you could land yourself in bother if you do refuse to go. Given how most companies word their contracts, I suspect they'll have clauses that permit them to move you to a reasonable location, and lets face it 20 miles is hardly the end of the eartth.

With regards to costs incurred in moving to another office, I would suggest a one to one with your line manager and ask them if they are prepared to assist in your additional costs IF you agree to go. Basically "I don't really want to go, but for the good of the business I will do it, but could you cover the additional costs"

Its not a case of saying no and refusing, its a case of making sure that if they insist you do go, you get the best deal out of it, and the best way to get what you want is to show flexibility and willing.

You scratch their backs, and I am pretty sure they will scratch yours.

I agree that 20 miles isnt the ends of the earth, but due to the locations in question, it is going to add at least 2 hours onto my effective working day (i.e. traffic). Plus, I have some personal circumstances at the moment that require me to be close to home.

However, you are most probably right in what you say - I have checked my contract and there is a clause about expectation to work in other offices etc. So I suspect my hands are very much tied.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!