Council making an arrangements - without asking me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Ive posted before regarding baliffs and following advice on here managed to send the baliff packing with his insane demands (Yay!)

However, im having another problem with council tax.

Been paying my council tax, until around 2 months ago, when due to an oversight it was neglected 2 months in a row.

First I heard of this was a letter from the council talking about confirmation of an arrangement that has been made. So I rang the council and said 'whats all this about an arrangment - I know nothing of this'

I was told on the phone that this as a result of the 2 missed payments that an arrangement had been made to pay at a slightly increased rate to make up the difference.

I also asked for an outstanding amount, and was given one.

Now ive just had another letter once again confirming the arrangement, and also saying that theres an additional £100 to pay because of court costs.

So I rang again. Apparently part of the £100 costs is a £50 charge for sending me a summons. I explained that I had not received said summons and asked how I could have tried to answer to it if I had not gotten it. The guy on the phone suggested I take this up with the Royal Mail. I then went on to ask when this arrangement had been made and by whom. I was told that the first letter was to provoke a response from me, and an arrangement had not in-fact been made at that point. I said this was hardly an arrangement if I had not been part of it. He then said the council made the arrangement . I said surely an arrangement is an agreement between 2 people, not 1 person deciding how its going to be.

He then offered to make an arrangement with me then and there. I explained that wasn't the point at all, and I was wanting to know how they can justify making such an arrangement without my consent.

The upshot was basically that I should complain to the revenues manager. Now I plan to do this, but im wondering - can they:

A. charge me £50 and grant liability for a summons I never received (and £50 court costs for finding me guilty)

B. make an arrangement without my involvement

Thanks in advance.