My daughter and the Student loans Company

Lula
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All, long time no see

my daughter was at university and dropped out this year.

She has been unwell and unemployed and have sent a few letters saying that they have overpaid her by about £600 and are demanding it back,

the latest tome came this morning and now they are threatening her with debt collectors.

Is there any advice that you can give?

Thanks in advance.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

well certainly dont worry about the no powers dca thats for sure!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suppose what I need to know is, how can they say that she has been overpaid when she has had what they offered for the time that she was there? and , can they demand this back, knowing that she is unemployed?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

The grants are paid based on the time the student was in attendance, and are meant to cover the full academic year, which is 1st September to the 31st August. A student is only entitled to grant payments up until the last date of attendance, so afetr the pro-rata an overpayment of £600 does sound about right.

This is covered within Paragraph 38 of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009, and was also written into the contracts she signed with the SLC. If she opts to return to education, she will unfortunately be ineligible for any financial support until the overpayment is cleared. The SLC have also been stepping up their legal action of late.

My daughter is in a similar situation and I've been fighting with SLC for over 12 months now. She left at the end of her first year but they still insist she has been overpaid and has to pay back £800 even though at the time DWP said (as we expected) she couldn't claim benefits until 31st August as she was still classed as a full time student.

SLC can't seem to see why it's unfair that someone who tells their uni straight away that they're not returning should have to repay part of their grant but someone who only decided not to return on or after 31st August doesn't.

Also my daughter is now my main carer so her sole income is carer's allowance and income support, but they still insist she has to repay at least £10 per week. It's very tempting to let them take her to court .....

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

My daughter is in a similar situation and I've been fighting with SLC for over 12 months now. She left at the end of her first year but they still insist she has been overpaid and has to pay back £800 even though at the time DWP said (as we expected) she couldn't claim benefits until 31st August as she was still classed as a full time student.

SLC can't seem to see why it's unfair that someone who tells their uni straight away that they're not returning should have to repay part of their grant but someone who only decided not to return on or after 31st August doesn't.

Also my daughter is now my main carer so her sole income is carer's allowance and income support, but they still insist she has to repay at least £10 per week. It's very tempting to let them take her to court .....

you need to start your own thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...