Can I change the electricity meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rent a flat in a block of 8, all meters are on Economy 7. I have asked the landlord if I can change to a normal one as there is only 1 night storage heater in the flat, the rest are convection heaters. there is no advantage to me having Economy 7, and in fact it is costing me a fortune. He says that I am not allowed to change the meter. Is he allowed to insist on this?

I don't know about changing the meter, however, having an economy 7 meter does not mean you have to be on an economy 7 tariff. We have an economy 7 meter, but are on a normal tariff. They just add together your usage on both time periods, and charge you single rate.

EDF. Weird.

When I said we are on a normal tariff, I mean we were. We moved in and rang them up, as they were the existing supplier, and they put us on a standard tariff. Maybe they didn't realise it was an economy 7 meter or something. After a couple of months we worked out it would be cheaper for us to use economy 7, so we now are on an economy 7 tariff.

Your obligation is to return the flat in the same condition as you rent it. So if it has an economy 7 meter in when you leave, all will be fine. What you do in the mean time is up to you. Obviously, if you don't have the meter changed back, then you will be liable for the cost of getting it changed back.

I don't know about changing the meter, however, having an economy 7 meter does not mean you have to be on an economy 7 tariff. We have an economy 7 meter, but are on a normal tariff. They just add together your usage on both time periods, and charge you single rate.

They do exactly the same with my E7 meter,they just add together your usage on both time periods, and charge you single rate.

But some utility suppliers,do like to change the E7 meter to single rate meter,especially if it's one of the older E7 meters with dials on it..

Going back to the OP question,the meter will be the property of the utility company or distributor depending where you live and are Not the property of LL.

So yes a T could get the meter changed as the account is between the T and utility suppliers,Not the LL,same as a T can change there utility suppliers and shop around for a cheaper supplier..

Your obligation is to return the flat in the same condition as you rent it. So if it has an economy 7 meter in when you leave, all will be fine. What you do in the mean time is up to you. Obviously, if you don't have the meter changed back, then you will be liable for the cost of getting it changed back.

Does Not apply to Gas or Electric meters..

If a LL wants to change the meter back at the end of a tenancy,that's the LL problem and not the T.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

That is your opinion - on what do you base it?

The meters are clearly not the property of the landlord and account is between the Tenant and utility supplier,not the LL..

The OFT ruled sometime ago it is unfair to put in a tenancy agreement, terms like stopping a tenant asking the utility supplier for a meter to be changed or changing utility supplier and a LL cannot charge or force a tenant to change a meter back to want ever was there at the start.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

The meter does not belong to the supply company either....

but I can see the logic in your argument.

Thats the problem with privatisation of Gas and Electric all them years ago,the electric or gas meter are either owned by the utilities supplier or distributor of electric or gas,depending where you live.

Privatisation of Gas and Electric guaranteed that a home owner or tenant can shop around for the cheapest deals (subject to status) and if necessary if its a rented home the meter can be changed without the permission of a LL.

I can fully understand why a LL would not want to let a flat,lets say with a pre payment meter installed for a previous tenants, it may put a new tenants off and i can understand why a LL should not have to pay to have a meter changed.

But most of the time a new tenant can get the meter changed for free (subject to status) if there was a pre payment meter installed for a previous tenant.

Even some LL now are becoming a utilities supplier under Privatisation..

Privatisation of gas and electric was a mess and still is...

Edited by 45002

Deffo disagree with that - well they can become a supplier (re-seller) but they can't re-sell at more than they paid. It's the law you know ;)

Are you talking about re sale of electric/gas via a coin meter,in which case your right,they cannot charge more than they paid for gas/electric..

I know some LL are becoming a utilities supplier via companies like utility warehouse !

Hi all

hope this link is of some use its the Association of Meter Operators FAQ

http://www.meteroperators.org.uk/faqs.php

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group