E-music: Money charged monthly for nothing.

Kyosanto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, (short version below for those who don't want to read the whole block)

I've made the mistake of signing up (in April) for E-music, a music download service which was advertised when installing winamp.

Basically it looked like the same pay monthly deal as lovefilm/virgin wines etc... the first month is free, then you pay 17£99 each month and get to download 19£99 worth of tunes.

The trial went well, I have found many albums I had been looking for and the advantageous price (less than 50p per song) meant many good deals especially in classical music. So I decided to not cancel the account and go pay monthly.

But there was a catch...

Having not used the service for 2 months, I was looking forward to downloading 60£ worth of music when relogging. But I was suprised to see that I only had 19£99 in my account. Ok in the FAQ there was a small print stating that all the amount not used within a calendar month is simply lost. Ok I must have overlooked the small print when signing-up, but this is infuriating. 36£ of my money paid fair and square has gone down the drain.

So much for trying to support artists by sourcing music downloads legitly.

Furthermore, it seems I've also been signed in for the "audiobook" service, and had an 7.99£ withdrawn monthly out of my account (not even a direct debit they just charge the card...). Thing is I don't remember signing up for this thing, I don't have an interest in audiobooks, and havn't downloaded a single one, yet I've been charged 30£ quid for something I never even used...

I've written them this e-mail, which I have no doubt will end up in the bin and receive no reply, but I am seriously thinking of contacting the bank to see if there any way to contest the payment made for those audiobooks (I definitely intend to protest that) and hopefully for the 2 months of music not used as well.

If anyone has any tips on what means I have to retrieve this money spent into thin air. I would gladly appreciate it, many thanks!

Hello,

I've been occasionally enjoying your selection of music after signing up for your services via winamp. However I have found out I seem to have been mislead in several ways.

1) It seems I am paying 7£99 for your "audiobook" service. However I have never had any interest into listening to audiobooks, nor did I ever express an interest to use this service, or effectively download any audiobook. It does seem I have been, oblivious to my knowledge, have this amount withdrawn from my account since April.

2) I have occasionally downloaded music through your services and enjoyed it, however I did not use the download service every month. It has now come to my attention that you withdraw 17£99 from my account monthly whether or not I am purchasing any tracks. When I do not purchase any track in a month the amount paid is lost. Although I did notice just now that this is explained in small print in your FAQ section, this was not explained clearly when I originally signed up for your service. Therefore I have been mislead into paying for a service I do not use.

In consequence I would like to kindly request the following from you.

-Would you be able to refund the total sum I have paid for the "audiobook" service, which was mistakenly sold to me as I never had the intention to use this service.

-Would you be able to either refund the sums for the 2 months of e-music I did not use your service at all (May and July, I believe) and yet was charged for it, after I was misleadingly sold your programme, or alternatively credit my account with the relevant sum.

In the event you reply by the negative, or do not reply, please note I will seek contact with my bank to contest the payments given (for which no direct debit authorization was given).

Thank you for your attention

*Kyosanto*

Short version: I signed up for a "pay monthly" music download system, however after 5 months using it I found out that:

-Each month the money left (or all your money if you didn't use the service) is deleted from your account

-I apparently also unwillingly signed up for an audiobook service which I never used at all yet got charged for monthly.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back ? Thank you :roll: