style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

The other day I was caught without a ticket once I had left the train, I was cautioned and had a statement taken. If I would have stopped to get a ticket before boarding I would have missed it so thought I would get one from the conductor, who never reached me. I know that this shouldnt be done and that you should purchase from stations when available and I am not disputing the fact that Northern have a case against me.

I have not yet received a letter but when I do does it always end up in court or can you settle out of court?

Hello there, welcome to CAG.

There are plenty of threads here on similar topics. May I suggest you have a read around? It should give you an idea of what to expect.

But there's nothing you can do until you receive their letter, I'm afraid.

[edit] I should also have said that the guys will look in when they can, but I imagine the answers will be similar to other threads where a court summons is a possibilty.

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi,

The other day I was caught without a ticket once I had left the train, I was cautioned and had a statement taken. If I would have stopped to get a ticket before boarding I would have missed it so thought I would get one from the conductor, who never reached me. I know that this shouldnt be done and that you should purchase from stations when available and I am not disputing the fact that Northern have a case against me.

I have not yet received a letter but when I do does it always end up in court or can you settle out of court?

The opportunity to settle out of court is not an automatic right.

The right to proceed to prosecution lies with the Rail Company, but once you receive a verification letter, you can write with an apology and ask whether or not they will allow you to pay their reasonably incurred costs and the unpaid fare in order to dispose of the matter without troubling a court

Thanks for that.

I was also wanting to know that after being cautioned and giving a statement, should I have been given anything as proof of this happening?

Also do you know of any successful letters or templates that I could use?

Thanks again

The inspector will have made notes of the brief interview under caution, recording his/her questions in a pocketbook and will have read these back to you, allowing you to see what was written and giving you an opportunity to sign them as an accurate record.

The inspector is not obliged to give you anything, but if you asked, will usually give you a note of his or her details and the details of why you are being reported, though that isn't an essential prerequisite to pursuing successful action.

Once you get a letter and therefore know the case reference number, you could try something along these lines:

Dear Sirs,

Your reference:.....

I wish to offer an unreserved apology for my failure to hold a valid ticket when travelling and I recognise that the responsibility for this is entirely mine.

I have never been in trouble for anything of this nature before and I am very worried that any prosecution would have a wholly disproportionate effect on my future career as a result of this first unintentional offence.

I am asking you to allow me to protect my good name by accepting full payment of the unpaid fares and all of the Rail Company’s reasonably incurred costs in order to settle this matter without court action.

I offer an unreserved apology to the company and staff concerned for my action and I can assure you that I shall never again travel without a valid ticket.

Yours etc....

Do change the actual wording to reflect your own use of language rather than just copy the letter. It is much better to put it in your own words, but reflect the general tone of apology and polite request.

If you do not believe that you have done anything wrong, then say so when you write to the company. You should not accept guilt to dispose of something promptly if you are not actually guilty of any offence.

Edited by Old-CodJA