style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My friend recently took items totaling around £9 from a TK Maxx store and was caught. She is now banned from all TK Maxx locations and is to get an RLP letter with a fine. The police weren't called and they got their items back. She's never done anything like this before, and I don't know what she was thinking. But I've been doing research for her, how much should she expect to be fined? What happens if she doesn't pay? She's repentant and ready to pay all losses and make the wrong right, I believe. Could the fine be lowered because of it being a first time offense? Or because the amount stolen was small? I've just heard the fines can be extreme, and am concerned because she doesn't have much money. Also, she was never asked to sign anything, only given a statement of ban and a sheet of paper from the rlp.

Any advice from anyone with personal experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by rose9

Hi rose

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

They have got the products back, they didn't call the police. But they still want to send an invoice, it's not a fine as such. Your friend hasn't been through due process. The best thing to do is read the various CAB reports. In the reports they highlight the unfairness of these invoices, with actual cases. If you friend is worried visit CAB, but I would inclined to ignore them. Don't speak to them over the phone. Read some of the stickies. RLP haven't take anyone to Court, but Boots are

in the process of doing so.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/campaigns/current_campaigns/uncivil.htm

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/policy/policy_publications/er_legal/uncivil_recovery.htm