Tribunal - collective witness statements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have another query regarding witness statements being submitted for the claimant to a ET hearing on unfair dismissal.

There are several people who have the same account of some issues arising out of my dismissal. Initially it was decided that one 'spokesperson' witness would present a statement collectively agreed and signed amongst the individuals. I have since been advised that, although this can be done, it is preferable to submit individual statements and introduce them as first hand testimony, with witnesses in attendance (as the Respondent may complain they do not have the opportunity to cross- examine each to ascertain that they have the same views). Is this the general advice of experienced forum users here? I guess the next best option would be to submit all statements even if some cannot attend.

Can witnesses simply refer in each of their own short statements that they agree with the account given by the key witness (thus introducing that statement into their own, while also adding further material that they feel relevant?). This would avoid 'carbon copy' statements, however is it acceptable to refer to any other statements or should their acount simply be in one witness statement?

Kind regards.

Hi ,

I got told the very same thing and started to google to check things out . in my case it was the respondent giving witness statements that were almost word for word the same . If you google employment law naomi cunningham you will find a very good site with tactics etc and a very good blog with lots of information. one of the blog posts addresses this matter and the reason given for being preferable to have individual statements is that it would be very rare for witnesses to see and express what they have seen in exactly the same way. whilst there is nothing wrong in this practice it suggests copying and pasting of documents etc and might be easy to show this in cross examination and therefore weaken the said statements. So although its more of a pain due to time and effort to obtain individual witness statements it will go a long way in showing the court as to whos statements are the most beleivable