• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Another Comet & Samsung TV thread....

Jaz70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Samsung 40" LCD TV from Comet in Oct 09 for £750. Last weekend I switched it on to be presented with sound but no picture, menu or anything.

I searched the internet about what to do, and found information on here and the AVForums regarding your rights under SOGA and especially LCD TV's.

So, I have had an independent inspection done, where he found out it is the main chip/board that has burnt out. I have rung Comet and then written a (templated from here) letter to Head Office in Hull, regarding the breakdown and claiming my rights under SOGA etc and that 20 months was not sufficiently durable for a £750 TV.

I have just had a call from them, only offering me their repair man call out for £69.99 or £125 which covers call out and parts up to £150 - I will have to pay more if the parts cost more :|

The lady who rang disputed the fact that 20 months was not sufficiently durable :!: and since they had had no reports of this fault before it was unlikely to be a manufacturing fault and just normal wear & tear! *sigh*

Apart from not buying anything from Comet again, what can I / should I do?

why do they keep going on about the fault must be present from birth to be repaired under soga?

not true, the product should last a 'resonable time' 20months for a TV is not 'resonable'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...
why do they keep going on about the fault must be present from birth to be repaired under soga?

not true, the product should last a 'resonable time' 20months for a TV is not 'resonable'

dx

Please learn the facts about SOGA after 6 months it is down to the consumer to prove an inherent fault,Comet has a right to repair the unit under SOGA & for major parts will reduce the cost of parts on a sliding scale relative to age of the unit.

Comet should be allowed to inspect the unit in order to determine what actions are required,independant inspections are rarely truely independant.

the product should last a 'resonable time'

regardless of when the part failed from birth or otherwise

the seller should repair it - thats what SOGA is all about.

should the seller wish to deal with the manu about the issue later and recover costs - thats down to them.

the inspection is mearly there to prove the failure was not down to wear'n'tear or misuse.

as for 'who' inspects it - i would go with an independent eng everytime.

they for want of a better word cannot be accused of being 'biased'.

if you are going to represent official company policies and speak on behalf of comet

you need to approach admin@consumeractiongroup.co.uk

otherwise your advise is just that, an opinion.

dx

siteteam

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Comet Engineer,

I agree totally with DX. If you were told at the time of purchase that the set would last you 2 years, would you buy it? So that is very unreasonable. Sorry parts on a sliding scale doesn't work for me either.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

sorry i've said this before about the comet group/pcworld etc etc and i'll say it again.

they think they can make their own rules

or interpret SOGA how they wish

because they are such a big fish.

managers DO NOT get trained properly so neither do the staff.

now they come up with some hare-brained scheme [detailed in another comet thread here]

about how they are going to charge a 'sliding scale' for repairs

when in reality THE PRODUCT 9/10 SHOULD BE REPAIRED FREE UNDER SOGA.

na lets charge the customer for something we should be doing for free!!

they'll swallow what we say as the truth..........

sorry but its really getting beyond a joke that one of the largest highstreet seller

continues to blatantly get away with total disregard for consumer rights.

what would it cost them to repair it anyhow..pennies.

and think of the consumer feedback they'ed get.

rather than week after week after week

we see the same type of thread being started for the same reason about this lot!

dx

rant over

and they

sorry i've said this before about the comet group/pcworld etc etc and i'll say it again.

they think they can make their own rules

or interpret SOGA how they wish

because they are such a big fish.

managers DO NOT get trained properly so neither do the staff.

now they come up with some hare-brained scheme [detailed in another comet thread here]

about how they are going to charge a 'sliding scale' for repairs

when in reality THE PRODUCT 9/10 SHOULD BE REPAIRED FREE UNDER SOGA.

na lets charge the customer for something we should be doing for free!!

they'll swallow what we say as the truth..........

sorry but its really getting beyond a joke that one of the largest highstreet seller

continues to blatantly get away with total disregard for consumer rights.

what would it cost them to repair it anyhow..pennies.

and think of the consumer feedback they'ed get.

rather than week after week after week

we see the same type of thread being started for the same reason about this lot!

dx

rant over

As a soon to be Ex Comet Engineer due to the shutting of all the service centres to be replaced by two so called hub workshops I have no wish or desire to present A COMPANY POLICY as far as i am concerned the company can go out of buisness in a few months, i just feel that people should know the facts surrounding SOGA before weilding it as a weapon,any retailer should be given the chance to resolve a problem (yes not all staff are fully aware of the terms of Soga & may give inaccurate info but many are fully aware) with regards to a sliding scale for repair charges outwith the manufacturers warranty, this does exist & it is reasonable as it is judged on a time scale as opposed to usage, lets be fair about this a unit that is almost never off would reach the point of fair wear & tear much sooner than a unit that receives normal levels of usage,yet the sliding scale still determines the cost by age. Give the retailer the option to examine the unit & quote for repair you may well be suprised at how reasonable they are (unless of course you beleive that nothing should ever break down & you should never have to pay for the repair of anything) as for independant inspections,it's your right to go to an independant if you wish but i can only say from personal experience that a lot of these are just a rip off where you are charged for an inspection that has never taken place (it's quite an acheivement to inspect a unit that's warranty seals are unbroken " i have seen this on many occasions") Please be sure of your facts when complaining as it's a hard working & honest engineer that's at the end of the line who will give an honest opinion regarding the cause of a fault but he can not do this if he is denied the oppertunity.

Edited by Comet Engineer

morning

we should re-name you ex-comet eng then....:lol:

i take your points and like the post

i think its very unfair, though in some ways commendable, that they are implementing a 'repair service'

however, it should not be used as a get out on claims under soga.

if the unit has failed in under 2yrs, its for the seller to repair it foc not charge the customer on a sliding scale.

2yrs is not, generally, recognised as being outside of the soga term 'last a resonable amount of time'

typically, going by all i have read, 3-4yrs is accepted as the norm for a tv.

dx

and they