Is my college being ageist?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dont know where to post this question so posted here.

I have been trying for the last 12 months to get on a course in my local college.

I applied for a course at my local college in Travel and Tourism. I received a letter with my course number on after I filled in a form and sent it to them last year saying I would be given an interview to assess my suitability for the course. Im 58. I'd heard nothing for months so I recently contacted them via their website giving my number and everything and received a letter today to say that said ' at this stage we are unable to offer you an interview as you do not appear to meet the requirements' .

I received further information of the course with the letter and the part that says Specific requirements 16=18 years old highlighted in marker pen. Well Im sorry but I needed this course for progression in my travel and tourism business as Im in no position to pay 500 quid for an online course or attend another private college and pay through the nose for it as Im on JSA.

The documentation I was given I have discovered is different from what I was sent today and makes no mention of an age range.

In this day and age when we are supposed to be working until 66 before we can retire why are we being blocked from attending courses to improve our businesses or job prospects. Can I accuse this college of ageism?

Hi

The Law says that Age discrimination is unlawful in employment, training and education. The following groups of people have protection under the law. In education, people applying for further, higher or adult education‚ or training, Students in further, higher or adult education‚ or training and former students in further, higher or adult education‚ or training.

The Law related to this is the The Equality Act 2010, thiis is the new law providing protection against age discrimination in employment, training and adult education for people of all ages. It has since 1 October 2010, replaced the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, by absorbing most of its provisions. This factsheet provides information for people in later life on their rights at work:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS77_the_law_on_age_discrimination_october_2010_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Have a good read of section 2. I would send them a very strong letter reminding them of the law, maybe mention this to your local MP too.

Edited by ukaviator
Font problem

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

The college phoned me today to offer other courses which I dont want and are no use to me.

I challenged them about the 16-18 year old specification on the travel and tourism courses and how Ive waited 8 months to find this out. I also pointed out that on the old information I submitted there is no age specification and they agreed that there wasnt but now there is on the new information.. Their answer was Im not the only one to find out I cant come on this course and that their funding for this course is specific to 16-18 year olds.