owner/registered keeper of two cars

Kiki1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I can't see the answer to this on the site, apologies if it is here somewhere

I am the owner/registered keeper of two cars that predate the last major changes in licensing.

Both have the older style V5's, one is in need of some engine parts (that so far haven't appeared - at the right price - on a certain auction site), and the other is slowly being cannibalised for parts to keep a similar one on the road.

Both are garaged on my own property, neither is likely to make it back on the road in the forseeable future, PLUS I have letters from the DVLA confirming that since neither have been on the road before 1998, they do not have to be SORNed.

The DVLA database of course has a link between myself and the two vehicles as I originally tried SORNing one of them in 2001 and received the first of the two letters as their response.

Does anyone know if this new insurance/SORN change of conditions supercedes or invalidates these earlier letters, and they now have to be SORNed and a new V5C issued ?

If so, there are obviously people who do something similar, (both cars and bikes) who will now have to submit registration numbers to the DVLA,presumably to initially get a V5C, and then SORN them on a yearly basis, with the added risk of a fine if for any reason they lapse on a renewal.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kiki1

Hello and Welcome, kiki1.

I've stated a new thread for you in the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 1 month later...

The new vehicle insurance law - don't be caught out

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The exceptions are:

• if you have made a SORN for the vehicle
  • if your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use
  • if your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers
  • if your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA)

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Thanks, and a sigh of relief.

The DVLA don't make anything clear about you second point on their website, unless it is on a page that I have overlooked.

As I am a newbie I am not allowed to post links. However, if you go to the government website of direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

you will see the extract. DVLA are concerned with the licencing, not continuous insurance, so may feel justified in not mentioning the exemptions!

Regards,

Andrew

• Haha 1

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Makes sense of course.

Why notify people they don't have to be on a database that is designed to issue fines to those that have joined up.

Edited by Kiki1
@