• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Police arrest customer to allow Buy As You View to seize goods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read this with great interest, How lucky am i that i live in a high rise flat with key pad access that they wouldnt allow me to be one of their customers....

Keep up the good work lefty and i hope that u help OP to a satisfactory conclusion....

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread has now been here for one month. During that time it has had 4,224 views from unique IP addresses (that's 4,224 different people). It has remained at the top of the leaderboard on the Rent to Own and Hire Purchase stores forum. It now runs into 6 pages. It has had over 100 replies.

There has been just ONE contribution from a senior director at Buy As You View, who lists his corporate responsibilities as:

Assist in compliance to the company's legal and regulative obligations in all trading and operating activities

Organise and implement customer relationship/retention improvement programmes including:

Customer research programmes

Community support events within trading areas

Effective customer touchpoints including; welcome packs, anniversary cards

Customer statements

Effective retention offerings to existing customers

Develop Customer Value Management process for optimum profitability

Oversee all external communications including assisting in the management of

External communications and systems

PR initiatives

External partners and Agencies

Ensure the company is positively surveyed in the media, proactively building strong relationships with the press and reacting constructively to negative coverage

All I can say is, you're doing a GREAT job!

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Something smells about the behaviour of the Police. With all the Police cuts, why are three officers sent around for what is a private dispute, with no court order, no previous issues of public disorder at the address.

Normally I am very pro Police and have generally good experience of the rare occasions I have had dealings with them. But since the recent allegations of Police officers taking money from newspapers, which even some officers have admitted is endemic, I have started to question what motivates their actions in certain situations. I will leave it at that. It is not unknown for ex Police officers to take up careers in the security and debt recovery world.

The OP should make sure that a formal complaint to the IPCC is made and they should also make their local MP aware of what happened.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Something smells about the behaviour of the Police. With all the Police cuts, why are three officers sent around for what is a private dispute, with no court order, no previous issues of public disorder at the address.

Normally I am very pro Police and have generally good experience of the rare occasions I have had dealings with them. But since the recent allegations of Police officers taking money from newspapers, which even some officers have admitted is endemic, I have started to question what motivates their actions in certain situations. I will leave it at that. It is not unknown for ex Police officers to take up careers in the security and debt recovery world.

The OP should make sure that a formal complaint to the IPCC is made and they should also make their local MP aware of what happened.

The Police will help many organisations, if they ask for it. Therefore if the company informed the Police they are going to someones house to reposses property and it MAY kick off, then the Police can attend to prevent breach of the peace. Their sole job shoudl be to sort out anyone who commits a criminal offence and not get involved in civil disputes (which is what the repossesion is).

Its a bit early to be alleging outright corruption of a copper - and any copper would have to be stupid or desperate to put themselves into a position where corruption would be so easily traceable back to them.

So there is nothing, in theory, wrong with the company taking the Police to the persons home - what clearly has gone wrong is if the Police has assisted the company in doing something that is not within the law.

theghost

I was not alleging anything. Simply pointing out something is a bit odd, if they send three Police officers when they are facing 14% + plus cuts to their budgets. The Police force involved should look into the OP's case and I would say more widely. If they send out three Police officers to every situation where Bayview or similar companies want to take back items, then I would say that was not a good use of resources. They should check whether there is a court order or any history of disorder at the address, before they send any officers to an address. If there is no court order or any issues for them to worry about, then they should not be dispatching any officers.

I only mention the recent Newspaper/Police relationship allegations, as before this was all revealed, most people would not have questioned the Met Police. If a cosy relationship between Police and private companies has brought about standard practice of attending an address for respossession of goods without a court order, then I am not sure that is in the public interest.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I suppose it all depends on what the Police know about situations such as this - if there is a high chance of someone kicking off they will probably attend because it is better to go before it all kicks off.

With regards to resources, it is never a case of you only deal with serious crime first and only (that would be silly anyway as you would have lots of minor crime not being dealt with).

Resources have to be used as and when they are available on the day. I am sure BAYV would have had to have taken a copper when a copper was available, not the other way around.

I know of a situation where a public authority (a few years abck in the boom period!) needed Police assistance with a job and they had to beg the Police to attend but the Police wouldnt commit resources without the public authority paying for it (we are talking 10 officers or so). On other occasions they would send 1 or 2 coppers if the authority was willing to go on a date and time to suit them.

Resource issues are something of a black art, i daresay. A copper might be better palced to answer.

Well lets say you owed someone £500 and hadnt paid for 6 months.

You thought they were quite aggresive and likely to beat the crap out of you. However they didnt have any previous for it. They said they were coming around at 8pm tonight.

So do you think the Police would be entitled to not come and out possibly protect you because the person had no official criminal record of assault - even though you thought there was a real chance they might 'do you' because you thought they were an aggresive person?

I am going to speculate and guess that at a lot of repossesions things do get heated. The Police being there isn't an assumption of guilt on the householder - even though it may seem that way.

I am going to speculate and guess that at a lot of repossesions things do get heated. The Police being there isn't an assumption of guilt on the householder - even though it may seem that way.

That is without doubt. I'm sure many repossessions get very heated.

BUT

THIS WAS NOT A REPOSSESSION. There had been no default notice. There had been no court hearing, and the BAYV employee had no court order. (Even if he HAD, it would STILL have not given him the right to enter the property without the customer's consent. (A court return order orders the customer to RETURN THE GOODS or to MAKE THEM AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTION. It does NOT give automatic right of entry to the owner of the goods.)

At this point we can only speculate as to the events that led to the "arrest" of the customer. The OP has told us the police had said "his voice was raised" and had decided to act and prevent a possible breach of the peace.

Most probably, up until this point, the police had acted correctly.

However, to then permit a member of the public (and that is all the Buy As You View employee was - just a member of the public) to unlawfully enter the property and remove goods is where things went very, very wrong. The Buy As You View employee had no court order, no court implied rights, no authority. Nothing. Why did the police allow this to happen?

And let's not forget, the Buy As You View employee had left a handwritten note earlier WARNING that if the goods weren't returned, or payment wasn't made that day (in cash) then the police would come. The note didn't say "the goods will be repossessed". The note implied that the situation would then become a police matter. It will take a flippin lot of convincing to make me see it any other way.

Lefty

001_bayv002.jpg

I

001_bayv001.jpg

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

I am guessing most of the problems are stemming from the Polices ignorance of the civil issues and the ins and outs of what the BAYV people coul do.

Is it ever possible for the BAYV person to enter the house? (i.e get a warrant) - shoudl the Polcie have checked all this? Or should they have just allowed the BAYV to commit possible criminal offences and then have to deal with the later (i.e as they might have to now).

I dunno.

I guess if the Police were going JUST to prevent a BOTP and the OP kicked off then they were right to arrest him. Whether they shoudl have known to stop the BAYV person entering is another matter - I guess they probably followed the BAYV perons lead because they had all the paperwork and probably implied they coudl do what they were going to do.

The BAYV person will prob be in the **** for enterting a house without permission and implying it might ebcome a criminal matter as per your attached picture.

The paperwork they'd need would be a court order. Even then they'd have no right to enter the property.

So, in summery regarding the police,either by accident or by being misled by the BAYV, they have acted wrongly. Ignorance of the law is no defense for breaking it!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

theghost.

I cannot really believe that you think the Police do not understand civil matters. Of course they do. The probably deal with similar situations on a weekly if not daily basis.

I understand that you are giving them the benefit of the doubt, but three Police Officers turning up for a civil matter where no court order is held, they arrest the houseowner, allow strangers into their house and then they act like nothing wrong has been done, is bizarrre.

That is why I have questioned there actions in the way I have done above. Perhaps there is more to the story ?

Edited by unclebulgaria67

As regards to the recent discussions on this thread (all good points, and very well made) I would just remind you that OP told me on the telephone he was to attend an meeting at the police station last friday. As he still has no access to the internet I will give him a call tomorrow (Monday) to see how it went. I will relay it back here if the OP is happy for me to do so.

Also, don't forget that Buy As You View are now into week three of their "thorough investigation" regarding this case. The last I heard from them was that they were waiting on a statement from the police. I have been given a few "snippets" of feedback from Buy As You View from their employee's point of view, but rather than to simply rely on hearsay, I think it is in everyone's best interest to wait for an official statement.

But this whole thing really needs to come to a conclusion very soon.

Lefty

;)

theghost.

I cannot really believe that you think the Police do not understand civil matters. Of course they do. The probably deal with similar situations on a weekly if not daily basis.

I understand that you are giving them the benefit of the doubt, but three Police Officers turning up for a civil matter where no court order is held, they arrest the houseowner, allow strangers into their house and then they act like nothing wrong has been done, is bizarrre.

That is why I have questioned there actions in the way I have done above. Perhaps there is more to the story ?

If you see my earlier post, you'll see that the police are fairly clueless with regards to civil matters of repossession, after an officer tried to get me to allow a member of staff from Perfect Homes into my house with no court order etc.

Said officer then told me that said PH employee could break into my house when I was out, take items othe than my HP item (the officer said they could take my son's cot and pram) and not be breaking any laws

Whilst the Police may (in general) have a handle on civil matters I very much doubt they are well versed in things like the Consumer Credit Act and what can be done with a court order etc. I imagine generally they will not wnat to get involved in civil matters, therefore they will back off until they see something criminal - such as a householder kicking off - whether they should have prevented the BAYV person entering the house is a slightly different question.

When assisting a company they should really know what they are doing - but by the same token they are only there to enforce the criminal law - perhaps the BAYV staff misled them as to what rights he had - therefore the Police allowed him to do what he did.

what puzzles me is this previous letter that says they have arranged the police, prob knows them from the golf course!

something smells here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what puzzles me is this previous letter that says they have arranged the police, prob knows them from the golf course!

something smells here

dx

Companies can book the Police. I am not sure that the Police would be happy with that being put in letters.

I think comments on CAG are the least of the polices "reputation" problems at the moment :rofl:.

Still, you cannot book the police to guard the house whilst you're taking someone's possesions without the legal documentation.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

so what; I think they are accused of a lot more than that when they accept money off NOTW etc.

I am afraid the Police, jouranalists and Politicians respect and reputation are all in absolute tatters now, and the public will be suspicious of anything and rightly so.

Just a quick update for all who are watching this thread:

Things are moving along behind the scenes.

Lefty

;)

a snail would be quicker...

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks