Housing Benefit ( Bank statements) ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondered if anyone can help me, I have a "Yearly" Review, I claim Housing Benefit & Council tax, Im currently a single mum with 2 children ( Recent baby of 4 weeks) Now they want to see my last 3 months worth of bank statements, Whilst i have no problem with it, They will see im getting Maternity Pay, Child benefit, Tax credits etc... BUT over the last few months my dad has been helping me out with lending me money to buy baby bits, Cot, Pram etc... Will they class what my dad has lent me as an "Income" ?? As hes paid credits in to my bank, all in all hes lent me about £600 over the past few months, It clearly states on my statement its from my dad, as in £150 here & there...

I wasnt entitalted to Help with buying bits for baby as i did * or still do* work, But my maternity pay just wasnt enough to get me by, Is it a crime for parents to help out? Will it affect my benefits?

Thanks

Why didn't your father simply give you the cash and then there's no documentary evidence of any transaction?

If the council believes this represents a change in circumstances (a regular income from an undeclared source) then they may impose a sanction but of course you have children and they would take that into account.

My advice would be to telephone the council and ask them direct.

Don't dodge the issue because it wont go away. Call them, do it tomorrow and explain to them the situation. That is all you can do at present

good luck

'Benefits - Change Of Circumstances

When you made your claim for Housing and or Council Tax Benefit, you signed a declaration that said you would tell us straight away about any change in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement and claim.

We need to know any changes of circumstances

For example you must tell us

If you move house or the room you live in

If someone in your household moves in or out

If your income changes

If your child benefit changes or tax credits change (including if a dependant ceases to be in full-time education)

If your non-dependants' income changes,

If your capital (savings) changes

If you stop or start receiving Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance

If you stop or start receiving Pension Credit

If you are on Pension Credit Savings Credit and your capital (savings) change and goes above £16,000

If you or your partner go into prison or hospital

If your rent changes

Tell us now:

Failure to advise us of any changes to your circumstances may result in the following:

Overpayments of benefit will need to be paid back.

You can be prosecuted if you if you do not tell us.

Benefit may be lost if you do not tell us within one month of the change'

If you have receipts for the items purchased, try to match these with the transfers on the bankstatement, write an explanatory letter and take it in with the bankstatements and receipts.

Bit harsh don't you think kids?

I wouldn't volunteer the information unless specifically asked about it. Usually they just check to see if confirms what your saving levels are.

If asked then explain it was a gift for you to buy baby stuff. You may be asked to provide proof you may not. If you are Lees advice is spot on.

Since this is not income from a job or a permanent arrangement then you have done nothing wrong.

The only way it could cause an issue is if the payments change your eligibility e.g put you over the £6000 lower savings.