Arnold Clark------Office of Fair trading (OFT)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At long last, it would appear that the OFT are prepared to listen to customer complaints about the ab ove company.If you would like to make a genuine complaint to the OFT, then PM me, and i will give you the direct reference number pertaining to this file and the name of the person handling the file on behalf of Heather Clayton.Please remember, the more genuine complaints that the OFT receive, the greater the likelyhood of them taking action.It has been said on the internet, that considering the large volume of cars being sold by Clark's, the number of complaints are small. Statistically this may be correct, but it has recently been brought to my attention that many disgruntled buyers do not know of the existance of this site or others dealing with complaints about their purchases from Clark's, and there are others who don't bother to complain because they think that nothing can be done against such a large company.The paramount thing to bear in mind is not just the "Faulty Car" but the manner in which the seller handles legitimate customer concerns. What score would you give Clark's in this department?My "Grannies"old saying for this issue--The bigger they come--the harder they faw.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Received a letter from the OFT today outlining a probable course of action. I can't be more precise at present as they require me to forward them more details. It appears that quite a few of you have indeed contacted the OFT with your complaints---well done.

• 1 month later...

Update 2. The FAST MOVING OFT wrote me last week and suggested the way the investigation should proceed. This was not to my full satisfaction but i eventually agreed, as some form of action is better than none.

• 7 months later...

Update3. Yawn. On my return from abroad recently, a letter from my MP awaited me. The upshot of the situation is that all persons having a grievance with clark's should now write to their own MP detailing their complaints.

They should ask the MP to forward the letter to Mr. John Fingleton who is the Chief Executive Officer of the OFT.

Apparently, up until now, Mr. Fingleton has been unaware of the volume of complaints by customers of clark's.

When a MP contacts this man, he is duty bound to carry out an investigation. It is therefore imperitive that all complainants follow this proceedure to have any chance of justice.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a nightmare with Arnold Clark Leyland.I've been totally misled regarding the history and quality of a VW Passat I was sold.Lied too over previous owner (car is an ex-rental) Lied too over the quality of car (car extensively re-sprayed (different shades) and signs of muntiple accident damage)I bought it from group stock in good faith after assurances of it's condition and picked it up in the pouring rain.General manager was unbelievable, his comments embarrassing.I have written to everyone who I can think of, including my MP as suggested.Everything is still ongoing.

You can do either Bang. I recommend sending complaint to OFT via your MP. If you send directly to OFT then some underling may answer it in true civil service manner. If you go via MP and ask for complaint to be forwarded to Mr. J. Fingleton, he personally must reply to your MP and there is more chance of something being done.

At present Mr. Fingleton is aware of individual complaints about AC, but many of these have come from the internet. He will act when sufficient complaints are directed to him personally.

The OFT are aware of the volume of complaints on the net.

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

I hope you can still do this? To complain through your MP?. I'm in the process of having one Mother and Father of an argument with the said Arnold Clark. We bought a 2nd hand car mid April and its still in its 2 month warranty and of that time has spent at least 30days in for repair and currently it is still in a garage with no return date being given. To me they are waiting on the warranty running out then we get the 2 fingered salute??. I am going to post a full post ASAP but just wanted to know if you could still complain to MP as Head office and Finance company both a waste of space. thanks

Hello Ladybug. Sorry to learn that you are yet another victim of this dastardly company.

You can indeed report to your MP and ask that he sends ALL details of complaint to Mr. Singleton at the OFT.

Make it clear to MP that he MUST include in his letter that he knows of several other complaints about clark being reported to the OFT and ask when they are likely to take action against clark ( a "Sir" no less). If Mp asks you to prove other complaints then advise him to log on to this site.

Now, it comes as no surprise that HQ don't want to know but there needs to be more questions asked of the finance company involved. eg Did you pay any part of car with a Visa credit / debit card? I strongly suspect that car is on a personal loan or Santander "Motor Loan" (same thing) and that is why they are not being helpful.

There are people on this site who are better qualified than i to advise you on Trading Standards, Rejecting car under the Sale of Goods Act , times allowed for repairs and number of repair attempts.

Should you be considering any kind of action against clark, i would advise that you are prepared to stick with it as it may take some time to achieve the desired results.IMHO, clark count on people just getting fed up chasing a complaint, so eventually just Stone Wall any contact with them.

In regards your warranty, firstly, it is in addition to your statutory rights, and secondly, if a complaint is raised within the warranty period, the fault /s should be rectified even if the warranty has expired.

Seen their latest advert on telly? What a laugh.

ARNOLD SHARK--NEVER AGAIN

• 3 weeks later...

Been taken for a ride on four separate occasions by these pirates, the most recent one is just the straw snapping an already weakened camel's back. Sadly my other half is more forgiving than me. I swore off them after my first brush with them, she's fallen foul (far worse than I) twice since including just today.

Bought a second hand Zafira, went to collect it and there's a significant chip in the windscreen (covered by a sticker in the window at the showroom), the passenger door won't open from the inside and the supplied keys don't work!

Of course, they'll take it in for repairs. In a week. And if we want a hire car, it'll cost us for the insurance. Do note, we got the Zafira as we need a big car (kids, mother-in-law, dog), and I bet you my house that any hire care is something along the lines of a Corsa.

Thanks for the info as regards sending details via our MP. I'll draft something appropriate and get it over by the weekend. I'm also curious as to the trespass laws in Scotland (there are none...) so wondering if I can just turn up there on Saturday, stand around and warn every potential customer to go elsewhere.

Hello Mosh. As well as writing your MP (and also telling him others are doing the same) You should contact Trading Standards. Explain your full story to them and suggest i t's time they took a stand against clark as you know (and they can check, other TS offices have received complaints). These offices include Dundee, Perth, Glasgow & Fife. but there are several more.

Your last paragraph is quite funny LOL. Firstly, there are now some trespass laws in Scotland. But to stand outside clarkies would serve little purpose i regret to say.

I have a large AC coloured sticker on my car, and have parked close to a few AC garages. People look at it but a few still visit the garage.

One of the reasons that clark is expanding is the gulibility of the public. There are people who have heard my story and seen the various websites about clark but STILL trade with them.

The other reason is lack of choice of retailers as there are so many clark outlets. This is also true of choice of vehicles, as few other car retailers have such a large choice. (maybe they are particular about the quality of cars they sell!!!)

Do not tackle clark in any way unless you are prepared to see it through.

Whatever you decide to do i wish you well.

Arnold Shark--Never Again.

Scaniaman - my wife saw how shoddily I was treated by two branches with my Renault. She still went to a third branch and was royally shafted over the purchase of a Ford (not fit for purpose and the garage refused to allow her to return the car barely 15 hours later once this came to light), so she ended up a couple of grand out of pocket having to purchase another car elsewhere.

Despite this, she then went to Linwood Ford for the Zafira.

Finally, this time, she's learned that they're parasites.

So, yes, people will hear your story/stories and yet they'll still go to AC because they're cheap. The fact that once they have your money they treat you like a dog egg they've trodden in is beside the point...

I emailed their CEO as recommended by someone on another site. Received a reply back asking my wife to confirm I could act on her behalf due to data protection (what a load of cobblers), and a message saying that the person they needed to speak to in branch wasn't available until Monday (so they obviously get a 3-day weekend, as the email I received was around 10am on Friday). I've been promised a response by Monday morning. I won't hold my breath.

My demands are simple - the repairs done in full at their cost / our convenience. And a hire car of suitable dimensions (equivalent or larger to the Zafira) in the meantime at absolutely no cost to us. Why should we be inconvenienced and out of pocket due to their decision to sell a shoddy vehicle?

I'll be sure to CC Trading Standards in on the OFT/MP communications also.

Hi Scaniaman, I have recently registered with this site but at present unable to post new thread. I have just written to E Hawthorne, Group MD of Arnold Clark asking for a just solution to the problems I am having with AC Crow Rd, Glasgow who misled to believe that they were VW dealers for second hand cars - they are not. They knew I was enquiring and eventually paid £100 deposit for a second hand VW Beetle Cab., yet they persisted in saying 'Yes' each time I asked, "you are VW dealers aren't you?" The vehicle has been in an accident at AC CrowRd. They would not admit this. All the damage is on the passenger side. I noticed some of the damage before signing and after much haggling they agreed for 'smart' repair to be carried out. However, the next morning I noticed dents, more scratches and eventually the sill under the passenger side was buckled in. After I hear from the MD, if I hear anything, I will then contact Trading Standards.

VW Head Office has been excellent but as they have told me there is not much they can do as AC Crow Road came out of VW second hand car dealership. They are, however, keeping my file open and want to be updated.

I will support you in any way I can scanniaman - just let me know how. These people must not be allowed to get away with such blatant bullying.

God bless

bye for now

FYI, I did get a reply back before lunch on Monday as I was promised. We've been told there will be a 7-seater vehicle available for us to use while repairs are carried out on the Zafira. AC will cover the insurance costs.

However, not one word of apology for the inconvenience and shoddy sales experience. Not via email or on the phone when we spoke to shop staff.

Needless to say, I'm still sending all the details of this and previous issues to OFT/MP/TS.

I note you mention Linwood, so i hope your Trading standards are NOT in Glasgow!!

Actually, the issues I've had are with AC's in Linwood, Stirling, Dumbarton and Pollockshaws. Would I have to report these do different branches of Trading Standards? (i.e. is TS council/region based?)

Mosh, yes to all TS. I am told that all Ts's have a link or data base, wherebye they can access complaints from different areas. This is SUPPOSED to show a trend or problems with the same trader in different areas. Unfortunately, the TS are run independently by their respective councils, and there is no body in overall control.

The OFT are supposed to have a degree of control over them but can't force these TS to act. Therefore the route is via your MP to John Singleton of the OFT. I used to contact a woman directly at the OFT but my MP says Singleton is top man.

Ladycoke. My NEW car was damaged by clark in Perth prior to delivery. They washed it (old trick to hide marks) as we waited, then parked it very close to a wall so we couldn't see it. They EVENTUALLY repaired it, but i suspect the manager paid for this himself.

Eddie Hawthorne i am led to understand is clarks son in law!!!! So don't hold your breath.

The only way you can support me and the many other victims is by continually harassing the OFT (via MP) and your local TS as stated above.

If however your local TS is Glasgow, you may have a problem. I can't say on here what the problen is!!!!!!!!

Again you should report full story to them and state that you know of other people have raised complaints about clark both with Glasgow TS and the others mentioned above. Try the Sunday Post also.

At one time this site was watched by a bloke called Alasdair, who is / was their customer relations manager or something like that. He has not been heard of for some considerable time though.

You don't say if you actually bought the car, but if you didnt, the £100 may well have been your smallest loss.

There again, that can sometimes be recouped if paid by credit card or Visa debit card.

Hope this helps.

ScaniaMan: Curious to know what the issue with Glasgow TS is...? I tried to PM you, but the system says I need to post more on here before I'm allowed to *rolls eyes*

Thanks for the info on the separation of them. I'm guessing that I'd be looking at four different TS offices, with Glasgow being relevant for the Pollockshaws incident. If I have to inform all four, I will do so - but will refer them to the other incidents as well.

Mosh, yes to all TS. I am told that all Ts's have a link or data base, wherebye they can access complaints from different areas. This is SUPPOSED to show a trend or problems with the same trader in different areas. Unfortunately, the TS are run independently by their respective councils, and there is no body in overall control.

The OFT are supposed to have a degree of control over them but can't force these TS to act. Therefore the route is via your MP to John Singleton of the OFT. I used to contact a woman directly at the OFT but my MP says Singleton is top man.

Ladycoke. My NEW car was damaged by clark in Perth prior to delivery. They washed it (old trick to hide marks) as we waited, then parked it very close to a wall so we couldn't see it. They EVENTUALLY repaired it, but i suspect the manager paid for this himself.

Eddie Hawthorne i am led to understand is clarks son in law!!!! So don't hold your breath.

The only way you can support me and the many other victims is by continually harassing the OFT (via MP) and your local TS as stated above.

If however your local TS is Glasgow, you may have a problem. I can't say on here what the problen is!!!!!!!!

Again you should report full story to them and state that you know of other people have raised complaints about clark both with Glasgow TS and the others mentioned above. Try the Sunday Post also.

At one time this site was watched by a bloke called Alasdair, who is / was their customer relations manager or something like that. He has not been heard of for some considerable time though.

You don't say if you actually bought the car, but if you didnt, the £100 may well have been your smallest loss.

There again, that can sometimes be recouped if paid by credit card or Visa debit card.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting back to me. It does help. Unfortunately I am still learning this site and notallowed to send PM's. It is so good to know that one is not alone. By nthe way I have paid in cash full amount - stupid me. Thanks again

God bless

Hi Scaniaman

I have sent e-mail to Bill Esterson, MP for Crosby concerning AC underhanded dealings. I also sent my concerns via message box to John Fingleton (or Singleton, OFT). I am waiting for responses. Will get back to you as and when I receive them.

Hi scaniaman - I received a response from a case worker to my e-mail to Bill Esterson MP acknowledging receipt and passing it to the relevant department. Let's see what happens. Still have heard nothing from John Singleton, OFT.By the way he is leaving this year.

ladycoke

Hi Lady. Think you may have misunderstood my previous replies. When writing to your MP you should ask him to contact the OFT on your behalf. Reason for this is that direct contact with the OFT can often bring negative results whereas an MP's letter must be answered, and usually by the "Gaffer". It is imperative that this MP's letter also informs Mr. Fingleton that you know of several other complaints about clark being broughtr to the attention of the OFT.

For what it's worth, i have just returned from a few days away in a top Scottish holiday resort. There i was approached by several people who had noticed the sticker on my rear window.

The first gentleman (Jag owner) was a member of the Scottish Motor Trades Association and tried to have a go at clarkie through them. Then he discovered that one of their head guys was in fact connected to yours faithfully.

Another guy was so infuriated by clark's that he found out where old clark lived and said he intended to dump a load of pig manure at his front door.

Heavy stuff but good luck to them.